Need to air.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to air.

I have posted here before about my ex, who is an alcoholic (like myself) and had started drinking again for about 6 months before I finally had to make the very hard decision to leave him. I had gone to Al-Anon as well as had some tremendous support on this website. I felt I had tried everything I could think of to help him and was heading for a drink myself with the worry. I hope I'm not making myself sound like the victim here by the way. He contacted me out of the blue a few days ago and it knocked me for six. Even though he says he’s not drinking at the moment, he's talking nonsense and his mind is clearly all over the place and I realise that none of his thinking or old ways have changed at all. We have been apart for nearly 4 months now and it was amazing how much was brought back in the time it takes to read a text message. He seemed to be pointing some of the blame in my direction for him drinking. Being an alcoholic myself, I realise that only we have the choice to pick up or not and to cut a long story short, told him not to contact me again as I have worked hard to get over what happened and was moving on with my life well. I know there’s not a lot anyone can really say to this but I had to get it out and typing this (albeit very quickly!) has helped.

Thanks for listening and I hope you are all well.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good job
Old 10-02-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stay positive and keep the NC- no contact.
It works if you don't get sucked back in.
Good luck!!
Old 10-02-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did basically the same thing about 9 (give or take) months ago. My husband was an alcoholic, and I myself was falling into the trap with him. He also tried to in a way blame me; saying that I am doing the same as him.

Well..I'm not.
Got a divorce, full-custody of my 12 year old boy. Haven't had a drink in over 6 months. Do not want contact w/XAH; yet know that I will sooner or late for the sake of my son. Only if he shapes up.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

emmsie....you did the only thing you can do to protect your sobriety. The situation with him sounds absolutely classic....LOL.

Stay strong....

dandylion
Old 10-02-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone - your support means a lot to me. Airwick - Big Congratulations on your 6 months of sobriety. That's brilliant and life will only get better for you. I hope that things work out with your situation. Stay strong.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

great job on many fronts....you are done with being broken and you are in a much better place! Lots of hugs!
Old 10-02-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Proud of you. Celebrate!!