Notices

Asking for concrete advice

Old 10-02-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Asking for concrete advice

One of the things I hear over and over is to "take care of yourself" or "be good to yourself" or "make yourself a priority"... you get the idea.

I am pretty good at abusing myself, but not so much taking care of myself.

What have you done in the early stages of your sobriety to "take care of yourself"? These terms are very vague for me. If you can offer a list of exactly what you did, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am only on Day 15, so very much in the early days! One of the reasons I wanted to quit drinking was because I need to lose weight. I used to be in good shape, but through drinking and associated lack of motivation, I gained 50 pounds.

However, I decided to go easy on myself for the first two weeks, and basically eat what I wanted. I had a lot of ice cream and chocolate. I also drank a LOT of water. Now that my 2 week grace period is up, I'm focusing on healthy eating through more whole foods and exercise (once I get my energy back).
Old 10-02-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by josharon View Post
I am only on Day 15, so very much in the early days! One of the reasons I wanted to quit drinking was because I need to lose weight. I used to be in good shape, but through drinking and associated lack of motivation, I gained 50 pounds.

However, I decided to go easy on myself for the first two weeks, and basically eat what I wanted. I had a lot of ice cream and chocolate. I also drank a LOT of water. Now that my 2 week grace period is up, I'm focusing on healthy eating through more whole foods and exercise (once I get my energy back).
Wow! I can totally relate to this. I used to workout 5 days a week and was in great shape. I'm still in shape - round is a shape isn't it? The booze packed on the lbs. and zapped my energy. I could not workout today if my life depended on it. I pay my health club dues, but all for naught.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I take yoga and meditation classes that I love. I buy special vitamin waters and teas that I like and I drink them frequently. I burn candles because I love aromatherapy. I take long hot showers and take the time to get ready and look good, so that I feel good. I love stationery and pens and pretty little things, so I buy those items for myself "just because." I take drives in pretty nature areas. I take walks with my dog. I love to read so I read every day and I have always belonged to a book club. I treat myself out to lunch and I am always on the lookout for a new good lunch place. I take vitamins and I make sure that I always get a good night's sleep. I love movies so I frequent Redbox a lot. I listen to music that makes me feel good. I make myself a fairly simple "to do" list every week. It feels good to check things off, even if they were relatively simple "to dos." Hope these ideas help . . .
Old 10-02-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ArtFriend,

I was also well-practised at abusing myself.

I did many little things:

- I bought a coffee grinder and started the day making coffee which smelled amazing, and eating whole-wheat toast with honey. It was a great way to start the day by doing something special.

- I took time after supper, every day, to go for a long walk. This was amazing in so many ways and one unexpected way was that my husband often went with me, and it was time for us to really connect and talk.

- Maybe the most important thing I did was to say 'No' whenever I felt like it. I no longer allowed myself to do things I wasn't enthused about or to see or talk to people that I didn't really care for.

-
Old 10-02-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Once quit I found I was not compromising my own principals with the primary "eff-it" (drinking) and became less tolerant of chaos. Simply put, I've learned to say NO. As for the physical early on I ate when I was hungry, slept when I was tired and took a lot of supplements daily to replace the nutritional deficiencies heavy drinking causes. I also switched from cigs to vaping but am growing weary of that ball and chain.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have replaced my nightly beers with organic teas. I replaced my beer worshipping, cigarette smoking country songs with Native American flute and tribal pow wow songs. I read now every night. I have been working on my sobriety for 25 days with one minor relapse and one major. I am now back to day four. When I relapsed, I took away those things I have begun to look forward to like a punishment and cried myself to sleep. I'm still early on so I'm in an eat whatever I want mode. I spend at least one day a week in the woods somewhere. And I plan on, after some bills are paid, visiting my medicine lady for a head to toe, 3 hour healing treatment. I bought journals to start journaling although I haven't started yet. I bought a pile of supplements and vitamins that I refuse to start until I get at least 7 days back, otherwise it's just very expensive urine.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh yes, and being early on I sleep when I'm tired.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have been staying active. When Idle I log in to SR, or I have also been reading and googleing,"How long after drinking does my body recover." That has been inspirational. I also been listening to old pod casts of "The Bubble Hour." However, I wish there was a bubble hour for guys, it is pretty much a woman's view, not complaining, I guess women are just better at vocalizing and I am thankful someone has a pod cast I can listen to!

Plenty of sleep, water, and reading is working for me this first week. I am still pumped to be sober and my determination is as strong as day one still. got to keep it up!
Old 10-02-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
- Maybe the most important thing I did was to say 'No' whenever I felt like it. I no longer allowed myself to do things I wasn't enthused about or to see or talk to people that I didn't really care for.
This is huge. Putting yourself, your recovery, ahead of the demands other people put on you...ahead of the demands you put on yourself FOR others.

I made the time for recovery, for healing.

Celebrating sobriety milestones with a spa day wouldn't hurt.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovered

I went to AA and worked the steps.
I started walking.
I got a therapist.
I got adequate sleep.
I took baths.
I disengaged from toxic people.
I ate healthy meals.
I quit my soul-eating job. (well, fired, but I didn't get another one just like it)
I STOPPED the negative self-talk. That crap is EGO. (whether I'm all that or a piece of dirt, the attention is still on ME)
I got into service. In AA and volunteering. It REALLY helps me.
I got quarterly (what I could afford) pedicures.
I went to the dentist and the doctor to take care of my teeth and get a physical.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I pay my health club dues, but all for naught.

Me too! $125/month, down the drain. I posted in another thread that I need to at least start using the sauna and steam room...the "lazy girl's workout."

I forgot to mention that I started getting gel manicures and I am more on top of my grooming habits: brows, skin, teeth whitening, hair color, etc.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hi Art Friend - I try to be good to myself with the little things - vitamin supplements, drinking lots of water, taking time in the early am before I get going to listen to some soothing sounds/music (you tube has a lot of meditation sounds....soothing ocean/water or guitar music)....I listen to this while doing deep breathing for about 5 minutes, then continue to listen while I am getting ready in the am. I think walking is a great way to take care of yourself...may start with a easy route then throw in a few hills when your feeling better. I have a little container of coconut oil with lavender drops in it I like to use on my face & massage my scalp with at night before I go to bed.... a hot bath by candle light.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great ideas everyone! Thank you!

Seems to run the gambit from spiritual to practical. It is interesting to see what works for people. One thing I have noticed since drinking a lot is that I am more nervous. Dunno why. And people in general make me anxious. Anyone feel like this? The answer would logically be to avoid people but that is impossible and unhealthy.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

As recovering alcoholics we have a lot of guilt. We want to make up for it right now. we want to show our loved ones that we arent those people anymore. Thats a lot to take on. If we take on too much we will have overwhelming anxiety. And I think we all know how most of us cope with anxiety. AA folks will tell you, this is a selfish disease, while drinking its selfish, and while your getting sober you have to be selfish. If there is anything someone asks you to do that may in any way effect your sobriety, you have to say "no". Whether they like it or not.

Theres my 10 cents. Hope it helps
Old 10-02-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Doing the garden has become a weekly thing

I do housework daily if out of work

Walking as Anna has said was and still is a beautiful thing

Heinz chicken soup/Homemade chicken soup w/vegtables and rustic crusty bread (this is good on every level use Maggi stock cubes)

Get a pet jack russell

Start getting some of your favorite boxsets for nights you cant sleep

and obviously i saved the best for last....

keep posting on sr
Old 10-02-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Someone posted this on here awhile back - don't recall who?! If it's yours, stand up and take credit. I printed it of and keep it in my sober literature/reference material. I have truncated it some, but you''ll get the idea;
Start

I have read so many posts on here where people are putting themselves down. This breaks my heart. ........I am asking those that read this to be kind to yourself today. Treat yourself with love and respect. Talk to yourself with love an respect, as you would someone you loved, like a child. ......We can become better people. But not by being cruel to ourselves. We are on this journey together, all helping each other along the way. Please be kind you yourself and others. I think it is a key to success.
End

I start with this - simply, poignant and true.
It's body, mind and spirit we try to repair...
I read spiritual material to start each day - today I have started Passage Meditation by Eknath Easwaran, non dogmatic material. I bounce around with these and keep my mind open to reading about those who have found the light......there are many. For me, it starts with the spirit.

Body needs work and I have been neglectful, no doubt. I suppose I eat better, and no alcohol - but still struggle with tobacco and exercise.

I have printed off a couple posts on here today and these will also be inspirational for me in coming days/months.

Great Topic and terrific responses....
Old 10-02-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My sponsor who has almost 25 yrs. says he is not a fan of people (but will answer his phone at 2am for sponsees). Neither am I. My wife, kids and 2 or 3 friends are all I need. Social anxiety is very common and gets better with time but I have to ask who am I performing for? me or them?
Old 10-02-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I love my walk in to work and home from work. It is a great way to de-stress before a busy day and after. I try to do this Mon-Friday but weather prohibits me some days. I don't even listen to music. I just walk with my thoughts.

I eat healthy. Very minimal garbage food goes into me. Although, who can say no to a bag of Doritos on a weekend? NOT ME.

I drink copious amounts of green tea (I did this though even when I drank)

I make an effort every.single.day. to stop the negative self-talk that goes on in my head and flip the switch to tell myself something awesome about me

I am open and honest with the people in my life, which leaves me with less anxiety

I take hot baths with a good book (usually a recovery type right now) and bubbles
Old 10-02-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have always been very shy... in school I was invisible. But as I aged, I grew out of my shell, but people still consider me reserved. The anxiety I feel now around people is rather new. It's like I am irritable and feel uneasy in any public venue. I was in Wally World yesterday and this guy was hogging up the aisle with his cart. I politely asked if I could get around him. I got the death-stare, as if I asked him to give me money. It shook me up so much I had to leave the store and go home. That would not have bothered me a few years ago.