Notices

1st post on day 43. Has this become 'easy'?

Old 09-30-2014, 10:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st post on day 43. Has this become 'easy'?

Hi. I'm 38 and have always had alcohol and addiction issues. I had a very rough time with cocaine and stopped that 6 years ago from being a daily user and haven't touched it since. As far as drinking is concerned, I've always drank far, far too much. I had a fit in 2011, have had several dodgy liver tests and have drank to excess since my school days. It has pretty much ruined most of the decent opportunities I've been presented with and after yet another health scare recently, I stopped drinking (43 days ago).

As drinking has always been a MASSIVE part of my life, I can't believe how much I have 'fallen out of bed' with it (pardon the pun).

I don't want one, I don't think I'll have one at all and I have been in pubs and all the usual situations where I would normally drink. My stress 'triggers' haven't changed and I appear to have completely adapted the way I deal with things.

In the past, not drinking has been impossible. I suppose the reason for joining here is I don't want to be complaisant as this is something I have never been able to achieve, let alone sail through. With this in mind though, as whatever has changed is clearly working I am conscious I don't want to make a big deal of things when they don't feel like one.

I am wondering, I suppose, is it possible to just get fed up with being the way you are and just stop without it seeming as huger deal as it used to, or am I waiting to be caught out by it?
Old 09-30-2014, 10:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome and congratulations on 43 days, that is massive! I think that sometimes it does just happen like that. The time has arrived and you are ready. Other times people have more difficulty despite every desire to stop. If I were you I would try to relax and enjoy being sober without over thinking it. At the same time, do not let your guard down as alcoholism can be very sneaky as you know. I know it sounds contradictory but it doesn't have to be complicated. Again, great job so far!
Old 09-30-2014, 10:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome dmchesire

I had to make a lot of changes to stay sober - and found even then my addiction was relentless. It loved lulling me into a false sense of security.

Others here, tho, have stories closer to yours...I'm sure you'll hear from them

I think having SR as a back up is a great idea

D
Old 09-30-2014, 11:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi DM... I'm very much like yourself.. I'm on 2 months now & have found this very easy.. I havnt really changed much in my life apart from not drinking. I still go to pubs & restaurants for meals and in 2 months I can honestly say I have only had about 3-4 cravings which lasted 2 minutes or so. It also does not phase me that the holiday season is coming up.. It is bizarre & I don't question it or dwell on it... This is what life was like before drink & it's great!!!! Perhaps some of us do have a switch that says enough is enough & we just get on with it.. I'm still suffering some of the fallout from my drinking but hey ho the body does need time to recover after so much abuse but I'm sure this will pass in time.. A huge congrats on day 43..
Old 10-01-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

For me I got sick of feeling awful everyday, I was simply surviving rather than living, it took work to quit, but I had gotten to the point of being done with alcohol!!

Support in SR is great to have too if tougher times raise their head!!
Old 10-03-2014, 11:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Last night I got back from work and was very agitated. I really couldn't wind down or switch off and I felt a bit sorry for myself for an hour or so. I didn't, and should have reminded myself of the horrific paranoia I started to get for days after a session. Days. Either way, I would class that as one of the hardest nights I've had. Didn't drink though and feel fantastic this morning. Thanks all for your encouragement. It did help reading some responses yesterday. I suppose that whilst it's not at the forefront of my mind and has been much easier than any previous time, we can all get times where you need something to keep you grounded.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not a straight or an even road, at least not in the beginning...but it will get easier Dmcheshire

Hang in there

D
Old 10-03-2014, 11:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dmcheshire View Post
Hi. I'm 38 and have always had alcohol and addiction issues. I had a very rough time with cocaine and stopped that 6 years ago from being a daily user and haven't touched it since. As far as drinking is concerned, I've always drank far, far too much. I had a fit in 2011, have had several dodgy liver tests and have drank to excess since my school days. It has pretty much ruined most of the decent opportunities I've been presented with and after yet another health scare recently, I stopped drinking (43 days ago).

As drinking has always been a MASSIVE part of my life, I can't believe how much I have 'fallen out of bed' with it (pardon the pun).

I don't want one, I don't think I'll have one at all and I have been in pubs and all the usual situations where I would normally drink. My stress 'triggers' haven't changed and I appear to have completely adapted the way I deal with things.

In the past, not drinking has been impossible. I suppose the reason for joining here is I don't want to be complaisant as this is something I have never been able to achieve, let alone sail through. With this in mind though, as whatever has changed is clearly working I am conscious I don't want to make a big deal of things when they don't feel like one.

I am wondering, I suppose, is it possible to just get fed up with being the way you are and just stop without it seeming as huger deal as it used to, or am I waiting to be caught out by it?
Well done on how long you have gone without one! I managed 56 days a couple of years ago and back in August/Sept this year a further 32, but I became of the mindset that a couple wouldn't hurt and then drank every day for 4 weeks! Now on day 3 again and getting help from AA. You are right to come here just to keep the complacency at bay. The AV sneaks up when you least expect it sometimes and the good folk on here will help you. The mistake that I have always made is when I have wanted a drink, I have not spoke it through on here until I have had it! I think those who are successful always post that they are thinking of a drink and that's the crucial point to get help.

Hope that helps?
Old 10-04-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks buggirl, I've got little doubt that if I had (had one), the same would have happened. Probably every day until something else went majorly wrong. 46 days now and wondering when or if I will ever stop counting... I know I'm safer when I get past saturday and towards the week so know now I won't think about actually drinking until next Friday, if at all. The good thing is, I am actually really bothered about what the hangover would be like! This is the longest I have ever gone without a drink and I dread to think... I hope your 3 days goes way past your 56 and all the very best
Old 10-04-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck well done