Notices

Questions about being sober , Please help me.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions about being sober , Please help me.

I started to write a huge blog about who I am but deleted it. I have questions and would love and appreciate answers first because I feel like I am going mad.

Sober 2 months after 12 years of drinking (Not everyday but close)
I am too aware of myself , mt thoughts and body / Feelings etc.
I feel weird like in a dream kinda fuzzy surreal like

If I skip a meal I feel like crapola

I feel without alcohol I am going to fall down, Like I am not grounded to the floor. My head feels big when I walk around / I feel better when laying down.
I avoid sunlight/light- Want to be in the dark. I like it at night
It takes a miracle to get up early takes me 30-45 minutes of going back to sleep closing eyes to finally get up

I can't drive / go in stores everything looks dreamlike and too bright

(I have the option to work from home thank the lord almighty)

At the time of the month I had 3 anxiety attacks, Seems like when Aunt Flo comes things are 10X worse

Some depression and have read that is normal but the above symptoms scare me. I would like to know this is normal and will pass

Old 09-30-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Silly Rabbit - welcome

None of us are doctors here...but most of us experience a great improvement in just about everything once we quit
Have you sought medical advice about your concerns at all?

D
Old 09-30-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I drank heavy for fifteen years. Your body chemistry changes and it just takes time. Most times we drink to cover up other underlying conditions so it would do you good to talk to a doctor and see if things are ok. Sobriety takes hard work and time and an extreme amount of selfishness. I felt a lot of those things and for me most went away with time.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You might want to schedule an appointment with a doc or a psychologist. Some of what you've described sounds like anxiety, and that does improve for most of us with time. But a doc or psych can help you if it's causing you too much of a problem, especially if you're not wanting to leave your house because of it.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hi SillyRabbit (love the name) - I'm finding a lot of benefits in some quiet meditation with water meditation sounds/calming guitar music (you tube has lots of meditation music/sounds to choose from) & deep breathing for even just 5 minutes is really helping me feel more grounded. Also, repeating positive affirmations 5 - 8 times, such as "I am at ease & relaxed" have a real calming effect. ((hugs)) to you & great job on 2 months of sobriety!!
Old 09-30-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all very much I actually have an app. to see a Doctor on Thursday.
Has anyone gotten on Anxiety meds while getting sober?
I know it takes time I just wish it did not feel so strange!
Old 09-30-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I stayed away from the prescription meds, SillyRabbit, because I don't like side effects, and also because some of the anxiety meds are going to be addictive and will take the place of the alcohol, stalling your progress.

The doctor will have to evaluate you and it's up to you to be honest about your drinking history. Some say to be upfront and honest about it, others caution against allowing yourself to be coded as someone with an addiction or substance abuse disorder, for various reasons to do with insurance benefits and legal issues.

I have found that the best changes are lasting changes... moderate exercise, a healthy diet, vitamins and supplements as needed.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
You might want to schedule an appointment with a doc or a psychologist. Some of what you've described sounds like anxiety, and that does improve for most of us with time. But a doc or psych can help you if it's causing you too much of a problem, especially if you're not wanting to leave your house because of it.
I totally agree. I drank to drown my anxiety and it will take time for your body to adjust to not having the alcohol do this. I do find that my anxiety is way worse around "that time of the month."I would definitely talk to a dr. about it and see if they can help. I wish you the best in your recovery.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've had times during my 7 months of sobriety where I've felt disoriented almost like I'm in black out mode. It passes quickly and I snap out of it. I know I damaged my heart from drinking and I could have damaged my brain. I know I'm thinking more clearly and processing things better realtime. I'm doing the right things with meds recommended by a doc and eat about as well as I ever did. I'm not getting worse and killing myself anymore. I would describe it as bouncing up a little but not greatly. If I drink again it would be curtains for me.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yep, much worse for me during PMS. It helps to keep in mind it's only temporary though, and will pass

I have a vitamin/supplement regimen I put myself on and have tweaked a bit in the past year. There are specific amino acids that will help repair your neurotransmitter deficiencies. There are a couple of books I've read and studied and can recommend if you're interested. They are helping me, but of course, I can't say they'll work for everyone.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I hope they help me too this is a crazy scary feeling.

There must be non addictive meds that can help?

Appreciate everyones input greatly.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

@Sober Jennie I would love that! Can you share the supplements you take too? This past Aunt flo was terrible.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Get Seven Weeks to Sobriety by Joan Mathews-Larson, and The Mood Cure by Julia Ross. I won't recommend supplements because we are going to be different there. But as you read through you'll be able to identify yourself as having specific symptoms.

But please do see your doctor first, just to make sure everything's ok.