Notices

New to this

Old 09-30-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile New to this

Hey everyone,
I am very new to this so I'm not sure where to even start. I was in search of something that could possibly help get me through my urge to start drinking tonight when I came across this forum. I don't have anybody close to me who can understand my struggle with addictions, including my husband...so I thought this might help me find more people going through the same thing..people to identify with.
Today is my first day deciding I want to stop drinking for good.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello amanda

Welcome to SR. This is a great place to "talk" to people that are struggling with the same things your going through. This site has helped me tremendously. Its a valuable resource for sobriety. I would not be nearly as far along in my journey without SR. Welcome aboard.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there! Welcome!
Old 09-30-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm new to this forum too and already I have found it helpful. I'm also new to trying to fully recover, having only made that turning point about 5 weeks ago. All I can say is that whilst it's hard, especially at first, it gets better, your mood will improve, your sleep, your self love. Your self respect.

I went in to addiction therapy recently, following a health issue and my counselor told me that the first step is to stop. To decide enough is enough and to not reach for the bottle or put it off until a 'tomorrow' that never seems to come. I think it's great that you have decided to stop. My advice would be to really look after yourself physically and emotionally over the next few days. Be aware of how you're feeling and of any withdrawal symptoms you experience, like anxiety, insomnia, stomach cramps etc. I have gone through withdrawal and it isn't pretty. But what I reminded myself over and over when it was hard was that the solution wasn't to drink because all that would do would be put off going through the withdrawal all over again on another day.

You've taken the amazing, important step of deciding not to drink. You should take strength in that because many people live their whole lives with addiction and never try to change. Just be proud of yourself and look after yourself. The only way really is up.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Amanda you're definitely in the right place! I would suggest that you also visit rational.org. That site is about "addictive voice recognition therapy". It was a big help to me and I'm sure it will be to you too.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Amanda,

Welcome! We do understand how hard this is, and I'm glad you've decided to make this Day 1.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amanda88432 View Post
Hey everyone,
I am very new to this so I'm not sure where to even start. I was in search of something that could possibly help get me through my urge to start drinking tonight when I came across this forum. I don't have anybody close to me who can understand my struggle with addictions, including my husband...so I thought this might help me find more people going through the same thing..people to identify with.
Today is my first day deciding I want to stop drinking for good.
Welcome to a great community. This place has provided me with years of advice, positivity and good will. Some special people here
Old 09-30-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, Amanda! You're in the right place. I'm very new to recovery myself, and like you, I don't have anyone in real life who understands my struggles with alcohol, including my husband. This is a great forum for sharing and learning. Thanks for posting!
Old 09-30-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Amanda - there's a lot of support and understanding here - welcome!

There are some pretty good tips here too
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 09-30-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you Amanda.

I was all alone with my struggle until I came here. I had no one in my life who understood. I really don't think it's possible to explain ourselves to our 'normies'. That's why SR is such a blessing. We never have to suffer by ourselves. Glad you are here.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Amanda...Welcome and congratulations on reclaiming your life. No one here will promise that it will be easy, but it's achievable. Read and ask questions and vent..you will find support and encouragement!
Old 09-30-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Today is my first day and with an unsupportive husband as well. Day one, doing strong. It's been a difficult day, but I feel so proud of day one. Hevyen is right, this place is a blessing and I say that without a hint of religion, just belief in myself.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to our newcomers. Always glad to welcome another family member to share this journey. Lots of support here.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone for the warm welcome. It really does help knowing there are so many of you who have already given me supportive words and encouragment.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, Amanda! Glad you found us!
Old 09-30-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Amanda! I like a lot of people here, have become a big believer in this site. I come here daily to seek understanding of my addiction. Good luck and it's nice to have you with us!!
Old 09-30-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Amanada, I am new also, not even sure how to use forum, or even if this reply will work.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Amanda!!