Does an alcoholic repeat themselves often???

Old 09-30-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does an alcoholic repeat themselves often???

I don't live with my boyfriend, but I talk to him a lot of nights. I talked to him tonight, and he pretty much repeated the same thing we talked about last night. I kept saying "yeah you told me that". This is happened many times before, usually only at night when he's home alone. Perhaps he is drinking? Or is this A symptom of alcoholism and deterioration?
Old 09-30-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

YES! YES! YES! Not sure if it's a symptom or deterioration... I just assume they don't/can't remember!
Old 09-30-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My exA would forget he said something not even an hour after he said it and he certainly couldn't remember it the next day. !!! There is no doubt that this can be progressive.

I am a healthcare professional and I was asked to work with a patient that was just shy of 50 who had Korsakov syndrome associated with alcoholism. He used a toothbrush to comb his hair, couldn't remember where he lived or where he was, and was so delusional that I could not ever see how this person with such brain damage could resume a normal independent life again with all his faculties! All from his case a beer habit!

I saw my exA in this person! Alcoholism doesn't just destroy the liver!
Old 09-30-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
msm

Same quacks everyday. Hard to listen to.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, omg YES!
Old 09-30-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes. Sometimes I've wondered if it was just that he couldn't remember or he was trying to convince himself more than me. The words mean nothing it's the action.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My Axbf does this a lot. Tells the same stories over and over like someone with alzheimers almost. I'll say yep you told me that or I'll finish the story. It's sad sometimes because I know he just doesn't remember. Probably tells the story during a blackout.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It is very sad, but that didn't stop it from getting on my nerves! He could hardly remember ANYTHING! I would get so frustrated! And he would, genuinely, not remember, or so he said, and then get "mad" when I got "mad." I was mad that I was always the only one remembering EVERYTHING and had to repeat MYself often.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Yes! Sweet Mary Mother of God, Yes! And it use to drive me crazy. It was probably the number one thing that clued me in when he was sneaking drinks. The worst of all was when he would start repeating jokes. Few tortures can compare to that of a drunk man, trying to pretend he's not drunk, and repeating a joke that he unsuccessfully told only ten minutes earlier.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes! That was always the dead give away for me with my exabf. We lived seperately as well. Usually my first hint would be he would say gn around 8 with hopes of not having to talk to me again once he sat and drank alone..but when I did talk to him he would repeat the same thing over and over..ugh!
Old 09-30-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, Yes, Yes. Just got off the phone with the ABF and listened to him tell me AGAIN that the granddaughter lost her tooth( on Sunday). I have been told that 3 times already. I finally told him to put her on the phone and let her tell me. Maybe he will remember that.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, we do My husband told me I repeated myself often. I'm now sober a year and a half and I don't do that much anymore
Old 09-30-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

My AM would never remember anything the next day. It's a part of the disease progression.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Mine did too. He'd get mad and argue too, when I told him he'd already saud that three times. In a row.

Good to remember how it drove me nuts.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

LOL'LOL'LOL..... Does a bear walk in the woods??

dandylion
Old 10-01-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Stoic

Yes, thinking back on this topic, one of the biggest peeves I had in my marriage was listening to the same thing/story 10/20 times. This was before I realized about alcoholism was probably there long before I ever identified it.

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
LOL'LOL'LOL..... Does a bear walk in the woods??

dandylion
OT...but dandylion, you reminded of this ad for Samsung involving a Bear, haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0JQJNsMKig
Old 10-01-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

YES! I swear, there were some weeks I was living the movie Groundhog Day with ABF.

It has helped me to split and go do my own thing when I realize his level of ability to converse. It has minimized the broken record syndrome on both our parts.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firebolt View Post
YES! I swear, there were some weeks I was living the movie Groundhog Day with ABF.

It has helped me to split and go do my own thing when I realize his level of ability to converse. It has minimized the broken record syndrome on both our parts.
ME TOO!! hours on end of the same story's. usually about the x's or his job. night after night. I would say yes, I know. You've told me a few times but he would go on like I never said anything. I would usually end up putting him on speaker (which he hated) and playing a game or something... thanks for reminding me how bad and boring those conversations could be. I would listen for two hours in the hope of 15 min's of "shared conversation" or the hope that he might care about how my day went.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have a friend they may be alcoholic definitely a serious offender at the least.

After drink 3 she will start telling a story and never get to the end of it. Then she starts over at the beginning. The story never ends.

I call it "skipping record" conversation.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Baby Steps

Mine didn't so much repeat the same stories but his memory was awful, he would swear he told me something and if I said he didn't he would become annoyed and be adamant that he did. Or the best one he used his bad memory to forget things I had said or asked him and again be adamant that I hadn't said it!! It was really frustrating!!