Notices

Where's My AV?

Old 09-30-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where's My AV?

I'm coming to the close of my day 2 and my addictive voice has not raised it's ugly head one time! I can only attribute that to the fact that I've been on SR for most of the day.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

It's easy to lose the AV in the first couple of days, when the memory of what prompted you to quit is fresh. Enjoy the quiet time it's giving you now, for it is sure to be relentless later on.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep up your guard BBC.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
It's easy to lose the AV in the first couple of days, when the memory of what prompted you to quit is fresh. Enjoy the quiet time it's giving you now, for it is sure to be relentless later on.
I'm sure it will. But I'm ready for it I think. I've got some plans of action.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Beerbgone. me too.

My AV which used to drag me into the bar straight after work, seems to have gone. & I am a whole month in.

I can only put that down to SR as it's a support that I never had before. it just seems to make it so much easier than going it alone.

we must be vigilant though. keep on the path matey!
Old 09-30-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

BBG, I dealt with my AV this way. First was recognizing it in all its shapes, colours and forms. The easy markers are associated with an urge to drink. The less obvious but more dangerous are the thoughts that impair your ability to make this decision. They are thoughts of self doubt, they are second guessing thoughts, they are thoughts of postponing your decision, all this stuff that still points at drinking again. If a thought makes you uneasy or unsure when you declare your sobriety to yourself, it's AV.

The second aspect of dealing with my AV was to separate from it. I know those thoughts are in my brain, but they come from a part that only wants to feel that pleasure and buzz, no matter the consequences. There are plenty of these kinds of thoughts that we deal with on a daily basis, we simply don't go around grabbing and propositioning strangers, for example, or go telling off the boss. So, those actions are things I simply will not do. Other people can do them, not me.

The third aspect was simply to accept it. It comes, it goes, no big deal. It can't make me drink, it can't make me move a single muscle. That ability comes from me, and I say no. I will always say no.

Congratulations, BeerBGone on your choice to get sober. You can do it, you can succeed. You deserve it, don't you think?
Old 09-30-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by beerbgone View Post
I'm coming to the close of my day 2 and my addictive voice has not raised it's ugly head one time! I can only attribute that to the fact that I've been on SR for most of the day.
It will.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If I didn't know better, I would swear you sound a little disappointed...
Old 09-30-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was always safe for a few days cos I felt so ill, so ashamed and so disgusted in myself...
but then I felt better and the old thoughts would intrude again.

It's really good you'll be ready for them if they come

D
Old 09-30-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with Carl that in the very beginning, the aversion is still very fresh and that can keep the temptation away for a while in some people. But as most of us know, aversion by itself is rarely very efficient in keeping us sober long term (if this were not the case, we would not be addicted). I wasn't like that and I had frequent terrible cravings starting from day 2, but people are different and this depends also on how long and how much we drank... I would suggest that you don't get very confident, and it seems to be the case if you have plans. Keep it up!
Old 09-30-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, negative consequences aren't really effective at keeping us sober. What worked so much better for me was to understand all the things that alcohol was preventing me from having, all the things I could have and be if I stopped drinking, and only if I stopped drinking. I could drink, OR I could have a life worth living, but not both.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

I was bruce lee in the beginning with my sobriety being on guard doesnt do it justice lol

If you have accepted that you wont drink no more then it makes it easier when ish hits the fan

Good luck & well done
Old 09-30-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

AV got me after 9 weeks and then again after 32 days, so I know now it will always get a way back. I have just got to learn to ignore it!
Old 09-30-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
The second aspect of dealing with my AV was to separate from it.
I'm doing the same thing. In fact I even named mine. Regina. The name of my ex-wife. I never did anything she said when we were married and I darned sure wouldn't now. So in my mind that's my ex talking to me! LOL
Old 09-30-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Yes, negative consequences aren't really effective at keeping us sober. What worked so much better for me was to understand all the things that alcohol was preventing me from having, all the things I could have and be if I stopped drinking, and only if I stopped drinking. I could drink, OR I could have a life worth living, but not both.
Makes so much sense.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by beerbgone View Post
I'm doing the same thing. In fact I even named mine. Regina. The name of my ex-wife. I never did anything she said when we were married and I darned sure wouldn't now. So in my mind that's my ex talking to me! LOL
I had an old GF, BBG. She lied to me, cheated on me, stole from me, and made me feel and look like a fool, just like vodka. I broke up with her finally, and could never and would never ever have anything to do with her ever again. If she were to come to the door, I'd just smile and close the door.

I quit drinking just the same way, and grieved a bit too. Never again. But when it was done and I knew my decision was final, I felt so relieved, I felt as though my future had opened up. All sorts of things were now possible that never had been possible before. Same when I quit drinking. I never had to drink ever again! WooHoo! All that pain, misery and heartache, the depression, anxiety and guilt, were finally over.

I hope its the same for you, BeerBGone. You can do this, believe in yourself. You can be the person you know yourself to be. Onward!