anyone try EMDR?

Old 09-30-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

anyone try EMDR?

I saw a new therapist who specializes in trauma. She definitely agrees I have PTSD and is reccomending me to start EMDR. Anyone else try this type of therapy?
Old 09-30-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No, but I have been recommended the same thing, and I also have a couple of friends who have done EMDR successfully for trauma and PTSD.

I would absolutely give it a try if you have the opportunity. It sounded totally weird to me, but one of my friends is a total science geek who doesn't believe in anything that can't be proven... and EMDR worked great for her.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Terp. My sister helps run some stress and crisis mgmt. for police. She says this is highly effective and has really helped some of their people with PTSD. She is amazed by the successes they have had.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I have done it. It's known to be very effective and is pretty easy to do.

Unfortunately I didn't complete the therapy (as was my pattern then) and had to restart some years later. The second time around, this in concert with "inner child" therapy really did the job.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know a professional who does EMDR in his practice and he apparently has a pretty high success rate with it, especially with people who has single-event traumas. I know one of his patients quite well and she said the EMDR was one of the most helpful approaches she has ever tried in psychotherapy. I would definitely give it a go myself if I had any relevant problems, already just out of curiosity even. I find the method quite intriguing.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I want to try this as well. It has been recommended that I do it, but no one in my area does it. I would have to drive two hrs away, but it is my goal for next year!
Old 09-30-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've had a therapist use it for me in a couple of sessions... I liked it. Seemed to help. I requested she use it more often, and for some reason, she didn't acknowledge my request. No idea why. I quit going to her. I'd like to find another therapist who specializes in it.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It takes THE EVENT that is running your life, and turns it into an event that happened in your life.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, I have had MANY events over a long period of time. Hopefully it works for me. I have heard great things.