one of those days

Old 09-29-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

one of those days

Did you ever have one of those days where you feel emotionally drained and ready to crawl in the bed and have a good cry, but can't figure out why? Well, that is how I am feeling today/tonight.

I'm not emotional over one thing either, just alot of little things today that I wasn't prepared for. Started off with a visit to my GP that I haven't seen in 6 mths. When she asked how my summer was she didn't get the reply she probably expected, then later found out that a young man in my town died tragically in an accident (didn't know him but know his aunts and cousins and saw the helicopter fly into the hospital when I was at my GP), followed up by a call from MIL that a dear friend had a stroke (she just had a heart attack a few months ago), then a hefty bill for AH's ambulance ride last month not covered by the insurance and topped off by AH being away this week for work.(I took it as a good sign as things must be improving at his job for them to send him out on his own while still on probation.)

Plus later this week is my b-day and AH asked me about going out to dinner and getting a sitter. I am not sure what I want to do yet, as I have thought that it may be nicer for the kids to do something as a family. On the other hand, by the weekend I may be wishing for a break from the kids too. I don't get breaks as often as I did when AH was living here.

Just hoping I can get a good night sleep at this point and feel better about things tomorrow.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

KidsR#1.....Getting a raft of sad news in one day is enough to leave you emotionally drained. As a woman, I have learned that when I have been very emotional, all of a sudden....rule out PMS first..LOL! My husband used to recognize it before me, lots of times...LOL.
That is just a thought.

Going through so many changes and having little kids and boatloads of domestic responsibility is enough to become exhausted and feel overwhelmed with. It is like you have more going out than you have coming in.....

I say take a break from the kids on your birthday. Absolutely. And, don't feel guilty. You are taking care of your children when you take care of yourself.

Sleep almost always helps, doesn't it.....

dandylion
Old 09-29-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

I can sure understand how that would put you on "overload" KR...I hope that you can have some time to unwind after the kiddos are in bed & find even small ways to pamper yourself & have a good sleep. ((hugs)) to you
Old 09-30-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sometimes, I have delayed emotional reactions. Sort of like when you do something new and wake up with a sore body the next day.

I also think that when we're already in a place of emotional upheaval, it takes less to exhaust us. I often refer to it as "operating on the spare tank of gas" -- when I'm in that emotional space, it doesn't take much to push me over.

I'm on the spare tank right now, and I went and saw my physical therapist yesterday. He scolded me like an old grandma and when I left, he put his hands on my shoulders, looked me in the eye, and said: "You know what's most important? YOU are. Your children pick up on your emotional state of mind. When you take care of you, that rubs off on your children. When you don't take care of you, that rubs off on your children, too. Everything starts with Mom being healthy."
Old 10-01-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A few good night sleeps does wonders. Since AH left I have been staying up later, because I FINALLY have a chance to watch what I want on TV after the kids go to bed. AH always had sports on. :p

Taking care of myself first is something that I have always struggled with. I was actually better about going to exercise class, going for walks, taking a break from the home/kids to run errands when AH was here. When sober, he could tell when I needed a break as soon as he stepped through the door.

Since I have three mornings a week with no kids (b/c of preschool) I have a chance to do something for myself for a bit. Just need to refocus I guess as I have been using it to catch up on cleaning instead. I had applied for a job at my previous employer (after they called and asked if I wanted to take on a few hrs.) That was 3 weeks ago. I figure that maybe it's my HP way of letting me know that I need to take those kid free hrs for myself instead of working a stressful job as a caseworker.