Notices

Stumbling drunk....

Old 09-29-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stumbling drunk....

Headed home on a Sunday afternoon. A beautiful, sunny fall Sunday. I'd taken my daughter out on a hike in the woods and a swim in a pool at the base of a waterfall. Brilliant, bursting yellow-gold reds surrounded us, interspersed with still-greens and grouse and bald eagle and trout sightings. It was a gorgeous day and really special moments shared with my little girl.

On the way home, I noticed a couple of women on the sidewalk, one holding the other's hand. At first I thought it to be a disabled woman and her caregiver. But then then both stumbled off the sidewalk, into a yard, back out onto the sidewalk. Then they wavered a bit more, tripped, stopped to laugh. The swerved and stumbled some more and then the taller woman stopped, bent over and started trying to crawl under a car. The other one looked perplexed. Then they continued on, gesturing wildly and casually walking off the sidewalk into someone's yard and back to the curb again on a meandering, drunken path.

I felt sad for them. Middle-aged women stumbling drunk on the most perfect fall Sunday afternoon.

The juxtaposition with how I'd spent the past few hours was intense, and I was grateful my Stumbling Drunk Sundays are behind me.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Amazing post Owl. Your way with words is incredible!
Old 09-29-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Owl. I had a similar experience yesterday. Second time it's happened, same guy. Practically falls off the curb in front of passing cars and weaves across six lanes of traffic on a busy street. I know the guy. He sometimes attends meetings where I go. Sad.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I see people falling-down drunk I am sad for them but so grateful that I'm not living like that anymore.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice post!!