Notices

First Post

Old 09-29-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post

Well, got that out of the way...

Going to attempt to enroll in intensive out patient starting next week(ish), so going in, a ton of emotion too long to list. Longest I've been sober is 2 years and I intend of breaking that record. Too much is at stake these days but that doesn't make sobering up any easier it seems. I'm just glad there are support groups like this.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Goadster, to SR.

Good luck with rehab. You achieved sobriety once; you can do it again.

Glad you found SR.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to sr
Old 09-29-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Goadster!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 09-29-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, and best of luck with your outpatient program! You will find a lot of support and understanding here.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome Goadster, how many days do you have? Don't wait for iop to quit.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Goadster,

Welcome and I'm glad you're doing what you have to do to recover.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you Goadster! You sound ready to get this done. I'm glad you found us, it will help you to not feel alone as you recover.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Goadster, welcome to SR. I am so impressed with your 2 years and your will to again beat that. You must certainly understand the struggle that (not gonna lie) is a little scary to someone who has fought this and lost multiple times. I can't imagine having two sober years. I look forward to seeing more of your posts!
Old 09-29-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to have you with us Goadster

D
Old 09-29-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks all!! I guess I should have said a bit more about my self, but I'm navigating around the forum and see several interesting topics. A few noob questions if I may:

What is a sponsor, what do they do, how do I get one, etc.?

Are there any medications that actually work to help with addiction? (I'm not seeking medical advice here, just want to know what works. Also, I understand what works for some may not work for others. Antibuse just made me feel sleepy)

Do you have location specific groups?

I'll be navigating the sub-forums tonight for a while as there is alot here.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

welcome! And I hope you keep in touch both in and out of treatment if you are able to!
Old 09-29-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-29-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome, Goadster I did IOP myself and really benefited from that structured, safe environment. It was like a four hour group therapy.

Glad you're here! This is a great sober community and by far my favorite one.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Welcome to SR, Goadster! You have found the place for support any time you need it.

A sponsor is the person who helps you work the steps in the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous. IMO, they are the person who will help you stay on the path to sobriety and work through the reason's you became an alcoholic.

I suggest that you attend some meetings at your local AA fellowship and listen to and watch the guys that attend the meetings. In my fellowship, we ask this question at the beginning of each meeting - "Would those who are willing to sponsor someone please raise your hand?". After you have attended some meetings and talked with a few folks you will be able to choose someone to be your sponsor. DO NOT rush this process. Although you can change sponsors at any time, it is best to find someone compatible the first time.

I strongly suggest that you arrive early, introduce yourself with a smile and a handshake and stay after the meetings to converse with other members of your fellowship. This will help you get to know the folks who are potential sponsors and make you feel more comfortable at meetings. You will probably make some friends as well... I know I have!

Good Luck!
Old 09-29-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks Hope! The reasons I don't think I fit in well with AA (of course, I haven't tried them all) is that I don't smoke and don't do the religion thing. Now I know there are groups out there where I could fit in, but they are the minority.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Originally Posted by Goadster View Post
Thanks Hope! The reasons I don't think I fit in well with AA (of course, I haven't tried them all) is that I don't smoke and don't do the religion thing. Now I know there are groups out there where I could fit in, but they are the minority.
I don't smoke either but here in Calif they have to smoke outside. Do they still allow smoking indoors in Texas?

AA is NOT a religious program... it is a spiritual program. You connect with a power greater than yourself. Your higher power can be anything you want it to be. A lot of folks consider the collective members of the fellowship their higher power. We have a lot of members who feel just like you do and they still have gotten sober in AA. As we say... 'Take what you can use and leave the rest'... no one will fault you if you do not believe in God.

While you are in rehab, pick up the book of Alcoholics Anonymous and read the chapter to the agnostic (and the rest of the first 164 pages). I think you we feel differently once you do.