Notices

Binge drinking

Old 09-29-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge drinking

I've finally admitted to myself I'm a binge drinker. I don't drink every day nor every week, but when I do, I drink to the point where I black out. I can limit myself but not often. I don't eat much so I think this may contribute to the states I get in, also I'm a thirsty person, not just with alcohol. I'm sick of waking up and not remembering anything, feeling embarrassed and guilty and wondering what I did or said to people. I've signed up to Go Sober for October. It' a start.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

A good start. Welcome.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I too am a binge drinker. I can drink a couple during the week and stop but when I'm in certain social situations with other drinkers, I will binge drink to the point of blackout. Yesterday I was told the things I did and said Saturday night and am totally embarrassed by my actions. I feel shame, guilt and just plain sick to my stomach. When I hear about the things I said or did I just can't believe that was me. It's like I turn into totally different person after I hit a certain point.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome kfairy,

I was a binge drinker too, but my binges began to be closer and closer together.

You've come to a great place for support.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome kfairy
Old 09-29-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Welcome kfairy,

I was a binge drinker too, but my binges began to be closer and closer together.

You've come to a great place for support.
Yep, that's what happened to me too. I was a Friday night only drinker once upon a time. Now there's no rime or reason to it, no limit, no moderation, no discipline - just dangerously out of control and frequent drinking.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That Exactly how I was! I haven't had any alcohol for 29 days now. I do not miss the hangovers, balckouts, embarrassment, and anxiety caused by it. September has been great!

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-29-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome. That's how it started for me too a long time ago. The binging started happening more frequently over time. If you can do something about it at this point you will be fine.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for a warm welcome

I've been feeling down the past two days thinking about my actions. I feel sorry for my friends for having to put up with me but I don't think they see it as I do, me being the "party animal/joker, just having a good time". I went a year without drinking, I can go out and not drink but I don't think my friend would drink or enjoy herself on her own annnnd that's just typical me putting others before myself.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I did so many stupid things I regret in blackout mode. I would get mean with guys or give women unwanted attention. 'Cringe-worthy' was invented by me....
Old 09-29-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ultimately I drink to enjoy myself and relax, I never mean to drink to get drunk but it just happens? I'll finding something that makes me equally relaxed and happy, without the excruciating hangover!
Old 09-29-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Kfairy!!
Old 09-29-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kfairy View Post
Thank you all for a warm welcome

I've been feeling down the past two days thinking about my actions. I feel sorry for my friends for having to put up with me but I don't think they see it as I do, me being the "party animal/joker, just having a good time". I went a year without drinking, I can go out and not drink but I don't think my friend would drink or enjoy herself on her own annnnd that's just typical me putting others before myself.
Hi kfairy, that's been a problem for me regarding my drinking; that I feel I should do it for others and that's what they expect of me etc. Problem is, if you're really struggling with it and no longer want to drink, then doing it for your friend/someone else will end up with you resenting her/them for it.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You're right James, thanks for the insight! We drink the same amount but she can handle it more than me. Time to think for myself.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm a binge drinker too who just threw away 2 years of sobriety thinking I could moderate my drinking again. I cannot. Day 10 for me and I'm done. There were no triggers except the AV telling me, "You can have a drink now….it's been two years." A month later….ummmm no. You are not alone.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR kfairy

D
Old 09-29-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome!