Notices

Day one again

Old 09-29-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The man with the BIG plan!

Day one again

I thought I was strong enough to do this on my own, but now I know that just hasn't worked. I have to give up trying to quit and just actually do it. I went to Canada this weekend and drank, argued with my girlfriend and feel terrible about it. I woke up at 3:00am this morning after horrible nightmares and went to the kitchen and poured out the remaining beers.
I feel alone and could use a verbal hug and some supportive comments.
From now on, I will truly make SR and the friends here the fore front of my recovery. What is the best way to use SR from your personal experience in the early days of quitting?

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by unitedguy View Post
What is the best way to use SR from your personal experience in the early days of quitting?
The best way to use it? A lot!

Read a lot, post a lot. You don't have to offer advice; offer support for others who are early in the shared journey of sobriety.

You can also join the montly support thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

Or join October's, which will start in a couple days. That way you can have a whole month of accountability.

But the main thing is to come here when you struggle...BEFORE you pick up a drink. Not after, when you tell us how bad you feel for relapsing.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

The best way to use SR is to read and post a lot.

There is so much support and good information here. I hope you decide to stop drinking for good.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had a wobble on day 7, wanted to drink but posted on here and got support and got through it. Yesterday on day 9 the same thing but I didn't post - and ended up drinking. So back on day 1 with you
Old 09-29-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there. Keep coming back. Posting and reading!
Old 09-29-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hang in there united guy ((hugs!!)))
Old 09-29-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there with us! Lots of hugs and support to you. My whole strategy is to post as much as possible, even though I don't consider myself to be qualified to give advice after only 12 days of not drinking. You're in the right place.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep reading, keep posting, keep asking for help and make sure to help others as it takes you out of yourself. It has helped me a great deal.

Also, there is a daily gratitude thread on here ( http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/gratitude-list/ ) that I post on every day and that helps me a lot. Makes me realize why I want to get and stay sober.

Not everything about quitting drinking has to be negative (I.E.: I quit drinking/lost something). Try the gratitude list so that you can see and post about all the things you are gaining.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here UG - For me, just reading from others here & knowing I am not alone in this is a huge help & encouraging others that are needing support. As Carl suggested, the October class would be a good place to jump into. Be kind to yourself ((hugs))
Old 09-29-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't always post, but I'm here everyday. Keep coming back!

Bunnez
Old 09-29-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Unitedguy, you aren't alone. I always knew my main source for support was / is SR. I don't do AA or anything other than SR at this point. I made it for 30 days during May this year and then found myself spending less and less time here.

After relapsing and spending one month drinking round the clock again, I am back with a new objective... Spend more time here on SR, reading and posting. It definitely helps me to support others and read, read, read old threads.

I'm at day 84 today; still very early in recovery and still spending as much time on SR as I need to stay sober each day.

You can do this. We are here to help, but you need to make the decision for yourself to use your method of support before you slip.

Best wishes.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You'll not go short of support here on SR, willpower only got me so far, but my mind wanted to drink and so I needed something more!!

You can do this!!
Old 09-29-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you! I drank last night and ended up saying some hurtful things to my loving and supportive wife. We have the most amazing relationship but when I drink it seems like I do everything i can to spoil it.
My thoughts on the best way to use the forum, just knowing that there is a whole world of folks out there that have "been there". All in different stages of recovery and as such, can all give advice and support about everything to come. We're with ya!
Old 09-29-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by unitedguy View Post
I thought I was strong enough to do this on my own, but now I know that just hasn't worked. I have to give up trying to quit and just actually do it. I went to Canada this weekend and drank, argued with my girlfriend and feel terrible about it. I woke up at 3:00am this morning after horrible nightmares and went to the kitchen and poured out the remaining beers.
I feel alone and could use a verbal hug and some supportive comments.
From now on, I will truly make SR and the friends here the fore front of my recovery. What is the best way to use SR from your personal experience in the early days of quitting?

Thanks!
Just keep posting, we can all do this! Together!
Old 09-29-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The earliest days might be hard if you go through withdrawal syndrome. How heavy a drinker are you?
Old 09-29-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wouldn't it be great if you could bottle all those wicked, guilty, shameful feelings you had as you were pouring that beer down the sink, then when you felt the urge to drink, pour yourself a big spoonful of them instead?

The next best thing of course is to commit those nasty emotions and all the physical stuff (headache, nausea) to memory, then throw them into your sober toolbox to bring out when cravings hit. With me, eventually I got to the point where the thought of drinking always made me immediately feel queasy (I was REALLY good at imagining myself hungover).
Old 09-29-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by longbeachone View Post
Wouldn't it be great if you could bottle all those wicked, guilty, shameful feelings you had as you were pouring that beer down the sink, then when you felt the urge to drink, pour yourself a big spoonful of them instead?
Um, yes! I've been here too many times. It seems like all the negative emotions wear off and eventually I forget how bad I felt physically and emotionally so that first drink down the road doesn't seem like a big deal. I'm now realizing what a huge deal it is...for me this is day 1...again.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back unitedguy

The 24 hour thread isn't bad either - it's a great way to make a daily commitment to not drinking.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-17-a-8.html

Use us - before you drink

D
Old 09-29-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good luck John...your in the right place