Notices

Heroin recovery

Old 09-29-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Heroin recovery

I'm a heroin user, determined to get help, and recover from this self-induced abuse to myself: my psyche, my stability, money problems, and overall sense that I will feel better if I just go and "cop" because I'll have energy, and not be sick. This horrible drug was brought into my life at 32- by my boyfriend. I want to be done, but I can't be sick. I have my first appt. with a recovery counselor on Wed, until then, I have to use to not be sick. I hate this drug more than anything- it's ruined my life.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Elizabeth, welcome to SR. What a brave and great decision you are making. I have not used heroin, I am an alcoholic, but I think any addict can relate to what you must be going through. It won't be easy, but it will be so worth it. You have made a solid first step in making the appointment. Now make sure you get yourself there and get started on your recovery. YOu can do this and life will get better. Also, just so you know, there is a section of the forum that is specific to substance abuse. You might want to post there where you will find others who are recovering from heroin addiction. Best of luck to you. Stay strong.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Elizabeth! This is a great place, and in reading around you will find much support, inspiration, and encouragement.

You might also want to look at the specific substance abuse forum: lots of people in the same boat.

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 09-29-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there!
Old 09-29-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you are here, Elizabeth. Also glad you are seeing a counselor - you might want to think about a medical doctor also. The first days will be rough physically.

Recovery IS possible; but it is not simple. I think of it as a process. I didn't get it right at first. I had to learn new coping skills for daily life, then practice them before I could actually give up the booze. Recovery is about much more than just not using a substance for me. I drank every day for 12 years.

Hang in there!
Old 09-29-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Elizabeth!!
Old 09-29-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

Welcome Elizabeth. You are very brave.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Elizabeth and I'm so glad you've made the decision to stop using heroin.

It's good that you are going to be seeing a therapist.