Notices

Struggling

Old 09-27-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Put together 55 or 56 days of sobriety. Thought I had this affliction licked. I guess I got a little over confident. Suddenly the urge to have a few beers came over me like a tidal wave. The wave won. Now I can't put two days together. I guess I just need reconfigure my plan. Maybe AA. The problem is I'm an introvert so, I don't know if it will work for me. I guess I'm just looking for advice.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

Hello JSM273. Sorry to hear about your set back. I like your idea, "reconfigure","Maybe AA." With your new attempt, try something different: AA, see a medical DR and/or therapist. The important this is not to give up. God speed.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am sorry you are struggling too. I know that AA scares me as well, but there are other routes you can go. You can try a therapist/counselor first or try other recovery groups as well. Maybe get a friend to go with you to your first meeting? I know there are a lot of wonderful people here who will have some great ideas for you. I just want you to know you are not alone.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Jsm it took me 3 months to get sober

try aa it may be just what u need to stay sober 56 days is something to be really proud of

your being honest your here posting

well done
Old 09-27-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

56 days is great. Don't get discouraged. Just get back to it.

You can do 56 days, you know that because you did it. You got another 56 days in you.

I think when you get to 56 days again you will have better luck in making it to day 57. It can be a long process, but you're winning. Doing great. Keep it up!
Old 09-27-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

It all boils down to 2 options really:
-keep drinking
-quit
which do you think its better?
Old 09-27-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Originally Posted by BlissWithin View Post
It all boils down to 2 options really:
-keep drinking
-quit
which do you think its better?
I think he knows which one is better & that is why he is here.

You still have those 56 days - Move forward & be kind to yourself
Old 09-27-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

JSM - perhaps go to a coule different meetings / groups. Just listen - you don't have to say anything. It's up to you. Maybe look for open meetings at first as anyone may attend.

I will say AA has been a huge help for me in getting to around 14 weeks. Took me awhile to say hi and speak with others. Just was willing to do whatever I needed to do at the place I had gotten to.

Bounce back man, you can do this and we need you here!!

Kind regards,
Fly
Old 09-27-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Have you considered going to a speaker meeting? All you need to do is walk in, take a seat and listen. No pressure and a way to get an idea of what AA is about. John
Old 09-27-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Together we make it. I couldn't do this without y'all or the real-life support I have.

I reiterate what the others have said, plus - there are tons of introverts in AA.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Sobriety is not about what we want, what is easy, what is convenient, what we are comfortable with. Sobriety is about systemic change.

AA saved my life and the lives of countless others but AA is not the only path. Regardless of the path you choose the one constant is learning to live a radically different life
Old 09-28-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

JSM273, you tripped. Almost everyone here trips. Don't beat yourself up. Pick yourself up. Make the decision. Do you want to drink or not? I think because of your post here, you know the answer. What did you do the first time you started? Start doing it again. It will work. Don't beat yourself up.
Goose
Old 09-28-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up over the relapse. Tweak your plan and start again. You know you can do this.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 56 days! That is a huge milestone, and you haven't lost it...it's something to learn from and build upon. I understand what you mean about AA, and being an introvert. I think you might just need to give yourself some time to listen and feel comfortable...because I think we all know that once introverts are comfortable, there can be no shutting us up sometimes. I wish you the best of luck as you restart your sobriety.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I totally understand, jsm--can't tell you how many times a period of sobriety convinced my I had it licked. I agree with everyone: 50+ days is a huge achievement and eternal evidence of what you're capable of doing. And maybe that's the lesson you needed: this problem is a patient mofo. It'll wait 50 days for you. It'll wait 100, as I found out.

As for getting back on track a reconfiguration is maybe the jolt you need. I tried AA. I haven't decided if it works for me long-term, but the physical process of taking yourself to a room at a scheduled time and putting yourself amidst other humans could be a great jump-start to get the sobriety engine running again (perhaps especially for an introvert? I don't know what's right for you but any kind of jolt to the system may be very useful at this moment. . . .)
Old 09-28-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I wonder if like a few months of sobriety is like the equivalent of 100 hrs of flying time as a new pilot?? Like, you think you know, but you don't KNOW, y'know?

I wonder if you can compile a list of diversions you can use on the fly as a go-to for these unwanted and out-of-the-blue cravings?

I'm realllllllyyy private, so idk if I could do an AA meeting, but it might be worth a shot.

Congrats on the 56 days! Rock on!
Old 09-28-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back jsm

56 days is great - you clearly have the desire to be sober
All you need to so now is make that transition permanent - and I think that's where more support comes..as well as using the support you have as effectively as possible.

Post here during times like 'the wave' - noone has to do this alone

What other changes have you made to your life besides not drinking?
D
Old 09-28-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

What support do you have? sheer willpower only got me so far!!

I needed something to remind me/reinforce my commitment to be Sober, that acceptance that abstinence no matter how long I'd been Sober, I wasn't cured or fixed, and when those "waves" came crashing in, something to shore up the defences against my own mind!!

You can do this!!
Old 09-28-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

AA is full of introverts. You'd never know it by observing, but it is. We are very similar people there to help each other stay stopped.

I wish you well on your recovery!