Notices

day 7 - dealing with a drunk!

Old 09-27-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 7 - dealing with a drunk!

So yesterday was day 6 and the challenge of a Friday night. My other half has been away since Monday morning working in Scotland, he was due home at 2 pm, 3 at the latest. By 5 I begin to worry that he may have had an accident, by 7 I know he has gone straight to the pub. When he came home at 9 absolutely wasted I was
fuming inside, on the outside I stayed calm and stayed away from the wine!

By 11.30 am he has gone back to the pub to meet his dead beat, cocaine sniffing friends, god knows what time he will come home and what state he will be in. My first weekend without drink, wouldn't you think he would show some support as he hates it when I drink?

So here I am, left alone again with two kids, no money to do anything and a bitter taste in my mouth, as he drinks away our money.

Anyway, this just makes me more determined to succeed and hopefully he may see he has a bigger problem than I ever had. If not, who knows, but I am strong and will stay this way!

Old 09-27-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh no well done on not letting this break you. What did he have to say for himself this morning? I would have changed the locks!
Old 09-27-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

he told me to hurry up in the bath so he could get ready to go out and dump the baby on me again! No apology etc
Old 09-27-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you! I have a husband who doesn't drink so I live in an alcohol free zone. Huge props for you to be able to stay sober under these conditions!
Old 09-27-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marina1981 View Post
he told me to hurry up in the bath so he could get ready to go out and dump the baby on me again! No apology etc
Has he already gone out? If not you go out! We all need a break and some time to ourselves. If he was working away all week it would be nice for him to spend some time with the baby and give you some free time. He doesn't sound very supportive x
Old 09-27-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

He was out before I could say a word, out last night, out today, I work tomorrow and then he goes away again on a Monday morning and I have the kids all week. Nice life for some!
Old 09-27-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Part of me thinks he wants me to fail and give in so we can drink in the house again, unfortunately for him I am very stubborn and it only spurs me on more to stay sober.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Think you need to have a serious talk with him about where things are going and why he can't support you. I take it he doesn't think he has a drink problem. My husband can take or leave booze apart from when he's out with his friends when he will get drunk - but he only goes out maybe 3 times a year. It's hard enough doing this let alone without support - have you got family or friends who can help?
Old 09-27-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

He sounds very selfish.

I hope you have friends nearby. If not, try to find some. You can build a life for you and your children with other moms.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

He thinks not drinking in the house and going to the pub is being supportive, unfortunately this means that I am left with the kids all week. He refuses to accept that I have a drink problem, says I just can't handle it, this makes him feel better about drinking. He can be a lovely and generous man, but whenever I need him the most he seems to retreat into his old bachelor ways.

I do have good friends and we all have children of similar ages, my friends aren't big drinkers which is good. So thankfully I have a good support system, just wish he would be part of it.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marina1981 View Post

Anyway, this just makes me more determined to succeed and hopefully he may see he has a bigger problem than I ever had.
It's sad but, about all that we can do at times is set a good moral example. Hopefully he will see in time what he is lacking in himself. Possibly when he sobers up you two can have a sober talk and both seek continued sobriety together. The wonders that this has brought to many lost families are beyond count.

MM-Bob