Notices

Asking my gp about antabuse

Old 09-27-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Asking my gp about antabuse

HELLO ALL

feeling groggy today but at least sober my last binge being Thursday but I feel the alcohol has got it grip on me again and I'm determined to un hook the grip

I am in a period of binging every week to 9 days for a day then sobering up then binging again this has been going on for the last few months , its been ages since I went a month without drink that's for certain

when dry I feel okay, exercise and eat well. I may be doing an exercise to music course come October once the lady has finaliazed more....

I wanting to ask my gp next Tuesday about being put on antabuse, does anyone have any experience of this drug ?

do you have to be drinking a bottle of vodka a day first to put you on it ?

I don't want the lazy way out and will force myself to attend aa aswell on wedneday even though I don't like aa or maybe I haven't tried it with a whole heart

I'm just sick to death of this drinking and sobering up I literally feel I will drive myself nuts I have my son and partner to think off

any replies would be useful

charlotte
Old 09-27-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just got a prescription for it. They didn't have it in stock at the pharmacy, I have to wait until Monday, but I will start taking it then. I am just desperate to be sober but cannot seem to quit, no matter the level of my desire so I hope this will give me a boost and help me to get some sober time under my belt before facing it on my own. I too have thought of it as the "lazy way out" but I just don't care anymore. I would chop off all my limbs to get sober at this point. If this medication will help me I am all for it. I'll let you know how it goes next weekend when I have a couple of days worth of experience with it.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi charlotte don't have any experience of antabuse but I'm from UK too and in my area there is an alcohol advice service which is really good (I've been to it before but was awkward for me to get to having nobody to watch my son). They are trained counsellors and it might be useful to use along with aa? When you have your binge days do you go out to drink or at home? My problem was home drinking. Good luck you are already doing fantastic to be alcohol free for a week or more at a time, just need to work out why you are binging
Old 09-27-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

I have several friends that have had success with Antabuse.If you are committed to staying sober it will work for you.

Counselling never worked for me,I drink because I am an Alcoholic,it is as simple as that.

Great idea to give AA another try,I don't think many people love it at the start.Try different meetings and get phone numbers from the ladies.

I wish you well.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks all x I think there is alcohol support near me will chase them down, I'm not sure how antabuse works if I'm honest but there has to be a way for me to get sobriety or else I wont see 30 simple as that x
Old 09-27-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heath480 View Post

Counselling never worked for me,I drink because I am an Alcoholic,it is as simple as that.

Love this. I also feel this way. I do see a psychologist because I like the attention and human contact. I've got a great life here, with a super boyfriend and some acquaintances but no real friends. That said, despite having been through some tough stuff I don't really suffer much over my past and don't feel at all as it is the reason I drink. I just drink, uncontrollably, because I am an alcoholic. Nothing more complicated.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by countrysidegirl View Post
thanks all x I think there is alcohol support near me will chase them down, I'm not sure how antabuse works if I'm honest but there has to be a way for me to get sobriety or else I wont see 30 simple as that x
I have never used it either. I take Kudzu tablets (herbal) and vit B everyday. I find it helps me feel better. Really hope we all stay on track, i think we can if we help each other!
Old 09-27-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Buggirl View Post
I have never used it either. I take Kudzu tablets (herbal) and vit B everyday. I find it helps me feel better. Really hope we all stay on track, i think we can if we help each other!
How's the kudzu working out for you? I've got a lifetime supply (delivered by friends from the us where it is more affordable) but I can't say one way or the other if it has helped. Maybe I need to take it more religiously.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm taking kudzu too and I've got to day 8 this time so I'm sure it must be helping - previously I've struggled to get to day 3.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

does antabuse make you ill if you drink alchohol it that how it works ?
Old 09-27-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, you become violently, even dangerously ill if you drink. A quick google will give you examples.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

aye see so you have to be mentally prepared before going on it I expect
Old 09-27-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, it has been said/researched that it does not work for people who are forced to take it or who do not have a strong desire to stay sober. You must really want sobriety and use it as extra support.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I did the antabuse route a couple years back. Very simply, you need to have alcohol out of your system - briefly before taking.

Daily pill that when taken creates a violently ill reaction if alcohol is consumed. Gets out of your system in a few days if one plans on drinking again.

Well this is a stark reminder of - Don't drink, for me the underlying issues of WHY I drank had to be drilled into. My experience was antabuse alone did not keep me sober for more than around a month.

That's just me......I had to start and stop a few more times before coming to the point of total surrender and Willingness to quit = period.

It can get one started on the right path while foundational issue of Why one drinks to excess are addressed.

Kind Regards,
fly
Old 09-27-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heath480 View Post

I have several friends that have had success with Antabuse.
I have also known of Antabuse to work well for many.

Most successful when used within a (full working) sober Program.

This for some is a combination of many things that help one to stay sober.

Soberrecovery.com, AA, support groups, informative reading, church etc etc

Bob