Notices

AA meetings

Old 09-26-2014, 11:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA meetings

Do you on your own?

I rang the helpline and the fella I spoke to agreed to meet me at a meeting which he did, I felt a connection at the meeting and have not drank since. I rang him up and he has agreed to meet me at the same meeting a week later and introduce me to people he knows who go more regularly to other meeting which is great.

I have been wondering though when the meeting starts its a very personal thing do people normally just go on there own? and I am I thinking of it as more of a club type thing and should just find a meeting when i need one and go on my own

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-27-2014, 12:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never been to AA but I know a lot of people feel too scared to go on their own.

I think that guy is providing some awesome service, myself - but do you feel inhibited in your sharing cos he's there or something?

D
Old 09-27-2014, 12:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

the only advice i can give you is try out all the different types of aa meetings, as the first meeting you go to could be the worse meeting in the world for you but you will never know it unless you go to a second or 3rd meeting to compare them

for me i ended up at aa in a horrible mess being a 24/7 drinker who had nothing left, so i needed to go to aa meetings day and night and it worked for me, once my head started to clear my life started to turn around but i found all my answers for me and my alcoholism in aa
the people there spoke about themselves but it felt like they were talking about me such is how much i could identify with most of them in the rooms

so please give other meetings a try dont feel you just have to stick to one meeting a week or just go to the same one
if you call up the help line again and explain that you would like to go to other meetings and maybe have someone help you by meeting you etc they will help
good luck to you
Old 09-27-2014, 12:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Of course you can go on your own! You can carpool to save the environment if you'd like:-)
-Ted
Old 09-27-2014, 01:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The guy is awesome and I have the upmost respect for him and the help he is giving me.

I guess I am just worrying to much and need go to one on my own and get it over and done with, there are loads of meetings in my area and I can expect him to be t all of them lol

Good idea I may ring the helpline again
Old 09-27-2014, 01:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are more than welcome to go on your own.
Just give yourself a few minutes extra to find each new meeting.
They tend to be hard to find until you know where they are.
Look for either, a double AA or a triangle in a circle.
Or, even more helpful, a bunch of smokers!
Hang around. Don't get too attached to any one person immediately.
Sometimes that leads to disappointment.
People who may not be immediately obvious, turn out to be great support.
Likewise, some people put on a great front, but don't deliver.
Cynical, I know.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to AA, gmc.

You will be welcome at any AA meeting or group, whether you go solo or with someone else.

When I started recovery I went to a location that had many meetings throughout the week. I attended a few meetings a week there for awhile. Then I started to go to meetings at other locations. Eventually, I had a consideration set of meetings from which I selected based on what I liked, meeting format, and who attended that I knew.

Find the meeting(s) you like and go as often as you need to. Listen to the people's stories. You will hear your own.

Best of luck to you, gmc. You do not ever have to drink again.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

There are a few meetings I go to on my own, but there are other meetings that I like to meet people at. For example if they are a little far from my home or if they are in a bad neighborhood I will ask a friend to meet me or drive together.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I enjoyed going to many meetings on my
own. Being a mom and wife, I had my own
agenda and didn't have to march to someone
elses beat.

I could go to meetings and get what I
need for the day which was some much
needed knowledge and lessons to continue
on in my recovery journey.

I also didn't and still don't like to depend
on others. I am responsible for my own
recovery and it is up to me to go get what
I need in meetings by listening, learning,
absorbing and applying lessons of recovery
in my everyday life.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gmc38609 View Post
Do you on your own?

I rang the helpline and the fella I spoke to agreed to meet me at a meeting which he did, I felt a connection at the meeting and have not drank since. I rang him up and he has agreed to meet me at the same meeting a week later and introduce me to people he knows who go more regularly to other meeting which is great.

I have been wondering though when the meeting starts its a very personal thing do people normally just go on there own? and I am I thinking of it as more of a club type thing and should just find a meeting when i need one and go on my own

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi and welcome.

Written in AAs preamble “Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.
The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.
There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with
any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does
not wish to engage in any controversy, neither endorses nor
opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

For this alcoholic going to meetings when I felt like it, sobriety would be impossible as it leaves things to my devices which got me drunk so often. Many years later I still go to 3-5 meetings a week, because I WANT to and it's my insurance.

BE WELL
Old 09-29-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Everyone is different. I wouldn't like to go to a meeting with someone because (this is probably just me) I would feel like I had to connect with that person, and also take in the newness of the meeting experience. Also, I wouldn't like to be put on the spot as "the new person" to a bunch of strangers. To each his own. I think the important thing is that you can find a supportive place to be comfortable.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

True we are all different and we drank and became undisciplined by doing destructive things our way. In many years of observing alcoholic behavior about the biggest obstacle in remaining sober is our personal changes necessary for sobriety.
Many balk and the oldtimers would say “there’s the door, your misery is refundable.”
BE WELL
Old 09-29-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My wife and I do a family meeting almost every week-end with in-laws. Two of us do AA occasionally-one doesn't. I'm the only SR member. Somehow we're doing it and you can too.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i started out going on my own. that was a year ago this week - i'm 5.5 months sober. AA has unequivocally saved my life.

i now have so many AA friends that i'm never on my own at a meeting. try a couple of different meetings and see what you like. look for the similarities.

be well.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

I go on my own but here is the thing.... once you find a fellowship that you like, you will make friends and never be alone again!

Just keep going. Try different meetings at different times of the day. Go to Chip meetings, Big Book study meetings and speaker meetings and you will find different people at each meeting.

The great thing about AA is, whenever you are on vacation you can find a meeting in that location. I have met folks this way and been invited to join them for dinner after the meeting.

Our primary purpose unites us no matter where we are so don't be afraid to smile and extend your hand to introduce yourself.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for tbe advice guys, I am meeting this guy tomorrow and then just start going to my local meetings.
I am still fighting any craving from the power of AA and I ve onlh been to one meeting and that was a week ago.
I am confident I have my my way out. I have stopped before but became bored, I learnt to stop I need to change the AA not only shows me how it also gives me somewhere to go PERFECT
Old 09-29-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I choose to attend a few different groups weekly - like different vibes and perspectives. Most meetings around here (95%) are open. Anyone may go, alcoholic or not.

Just FYI - here's what I discovered having walked in the door of my own accord; Not that it matters, for there is a common thread!

In the Big Book - under the lash of alcohol we were driven to AA. What it doesn't say is many were driven in a white van (rehab). Some are there due to court orders, this is very common - getting their papers signed each meeting. The majority of members in my group - typically about 25-30 folks went to rehab or came in through the courts to start with. Many remain of their own volition. I have been told by other that only single digit percentage wise walk in without these factors. Don't know that to be true or not.

I will say I really enjoy meetings now and the fellowship - btw, did over 90 meetings in 100 days - of course, not everyone is a messed up as me!

kind regards,
fly
Old 09-29-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was very nervous but ended up laughing and when everyone said hello gary I felt humbled and that I had my found somewhere that I belonged . Due to my addiction I ve felt like an outsider most of my life