Notices

Taking a break from SR

Old 09-25-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Taking a break from SR

This place is amazing, lots of caring and supportive people. The one thing I learned about alcohol is that you can only quit when you really want to. I am going through a lot right now, and I am not going to make commitments I can't keep. I will be back around October 15th.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Honestly, I think you're letting your addiction doing the thinking for you here ANDNY.

If recovery was contingent on us being ready or there being a right time to quit, I'd probably still be drinking, as would many others.

Drinking never ever helps.

If you're struggling I think you need quit now more than ever...and you need SR more than ever too?

D
Old 09-25-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're going through a lot right now, but Dee is absolutely right, there is never a right or good time to quit, except right now.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have a vacation around October 10th - I don't think I will have the willpower to not drink. I may be able to stop before and after that but I know I will be tempted by bars in a new city.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also know the reason I drank tonight is not only because of my daily stress, but taking away the guilt of drinking on my vacation.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Could you postpone the vacation, or go somewhere else?

Could you get involved in some recovery programme now so you'd have meetings available to you in your vacation city?

Are you going with others? could you share your struggle with them and perhaps make this a dry vacation for you all?

D
Old 09-25-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's not really a traditional vacation, I have been applying to graduate schools and I will have to interview. That night I know I will be tempted to drink after.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

your going to put yourself thru that again

alcohol will only make things worse you think your getting away from your problems when in reality i guarentee you

1.you dont know if you can get sober again and also hope nothing bad happens

2. I 5000% Guarentee youl come back with worse problems

if you really didnt want to drink you wouldnt say what your saying

see you around hope you stick with us so you dont have to feel like **** again but its your choice

you always have a choice not to let alcohol own your life
Old 09-25-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good luck to you. I am worried your addiction is making excuses for why you might drink. I do wish you luck on every goal you set for yourself. More then that I wish you happiness in whatever path you choose.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am drinking right now so I don't think it would be productive to make promises I can't keep. Tomorrow I will go to AA, and then post when I have a sober mind.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Grad school is hard to get into.

The last thing you need is to present yourself hungover and reeking of booze.

I know how stressful it can be - all the more reasons for finding healthy ways to deal with stress - exercise, meditation, breathing exercises, hobbies...

Don't let yourself be convinced that the only way you can deal with all this is alcohol.

It's a lie,

D
Old 09-25-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Originally Posted by ANewDayNYC View Post
I also know the reason I drank tonight is not only because of my daily stress, but taking away the guilt of drinking on my vacation.

Lol

I don't think, there is ever a time when, there isn't a certain amount of stress in life. Drinking just adds to the stress in life making you more depressed.

The Station
by Robert J. Hastings

Tucked away in our subconscious minds is an idyllic vision. We see ourselves on a long, long trip that almost spans the continent. We're traveling by passenger train, and out the windows we drink in the passing scene of cars on nearby highways, of children waving at a crossing, of cattle grazing on a distant hillside, of smoke pouring from a power plant, of row upon row of corn and wheat, of flatlands and valleys, of mountains and rolling hills, of biting winter and blazing summer and cavorting spring and docile fall.
But uppermost in our minds is the final destination. On a certain day at a certain hour we will pull into the station. There will be bands playing, and flags waving. And once we get there so many wonderful dreams will come true. So many wishes will be fulfilled and so many pieces of our lives finally will be neatly fitted together like a completed jigsaw puzzle. How restlessly we pace the aisles, damning the minutes for loitering ... waiting, waiting, waiting, for the station.
However, sooner or later we must realize there is no one station, no one place to arrive at once and for all. The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly outdistances us.
"When we reach the station, that will be it !" we cry. Translated it means, "When I'm 18, that will be it ! When I buy a new 450 SL Mercedes Benz, that will be it ! When I put the last kid through college, that will be it ! When I have paid off the mortgage, that will be it ! When I win a promotion, that will be it ! When I reach the age of retirement, that will be it ! I shall live happily ever after !"
Unfortunately, once we get it, then it disappears. The station somehow hides itself at the end of an endless track.
"Relish the moment" is a good motto, especially when coupled with Psalm 118 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." It isn't the burdens of today that drive men mad. Rather, it is regret over yesterday or fear of tomorrow. Regret and fear are twin thieves who would rob us of today.
So, stop pacing the aisles and counting the miles. Instead, climb more mountains, eat more ice cream, go barefoot oftener, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more and cry less. Life must be lived as we go along. The station will come soon enough.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ignore my original post. I will continue to post just dealing with a stressful job, rough breakup, and wondering if I have the willpower to stop.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good luck to you. Your drinking tonight but if sobriety is truly what you desire, try again tomorrow. I suspect this is a judgement free zone ready to help you find your way. Nothing worth having ever comes easy. I am new here but thankful for your insight on my situation and offering my support.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You drink to take away the guilt brought on by drinking...
Old 09-25-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You drink to take away the guilt brought on by drinking... if you didn't drink at all there would be no guilt to take away.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Least, I agree with logically - I just didn't have the willpower tonight. I almost need a babysitter to make sure I don't drink at a bar, or I have to avoid bars completely.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I don't think will power has all that much to do with quitting alcohol. I needed a program, a plan. You might take a look at Rational Recovery and AVRT. It made a lot of sense to me. It put a lot in a perspective that I could relate to and truly was the most helpful thing I'd read on alcoholism.

I think maybe you're in the grip of the Addictive Voice. I sure was. But once I could separate myself from the Voice, it got a whole lot easier and I finally understood what was really going.

I am sober now for close to seven years. I don't struggle. I don't second guess. alcohol isn't a part of my life. please give it read. don't waste the years like I did.

Love from Lenina
Old 09-25-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I did this ("taking a break from SR") twice in 2011, because I was drinking and did not truly want to stop despite of saying I wanted to stop. Finally came back in early 2014 to truly implement it. I can tell you 100% honestly that things got much worse between 2011 and this January, and there was no added benefit at all.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks Lenina and haennie. Trying to quit drinking and struggling is what made me realize I have a problem. Hopefully, I'll figure it out sooner than later.