Is it my place to...?

Old 07-24-2004, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Unhappy Is it my place to...?

Over the course of this past year, I have become involved with a man who denies he is an alcoholic.
Both he and his ex wife (who left him right before i entered the picture) have a problem. As a good friend, it pains me- As a girlfriend i noticed that when all of us-mutual friends are hanging out- we drink- on weekends etc- but he is always the one to take it the farthest. It has come to the point where my friends have also noticed this-he has many symptoms-he can be either emotionally withdrawn or start pouring his heart out over his recent situation and how it hurts him, he drinks at all times during the day,everyday. His job (a building superintendant) allows him to not have to account to a boss the next day-there is no threat to job security because of his problem. He is also very depressed- understandably-his wife left him, but not due to his alcoholism, as like i said they both have a problem with it. He however, doesnt seem to think it is a problem.
A big part of me wants to jump ship, even though i care very deeply for him, because i noticed myself starting to exhibit signs of enabling him, like cleaning up all the bottles after everyone leaves a get together, taking care of him after he fell (he was drunk) with a minor arm injury-ARE these enabling activities or just something a good friend would do?
One of the few reasons I want to help him is because I fear his son, who is 7, is seeing more than his father thinks he is of his lifestyle. My friend himself is a child of a father who drank -maybe thats why he finds it not that big a deal?
IS there anything anyone can say that can provide some support? Thanks
Old 07-24-2004, 01:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wait, time out. I'm sure that you love this man and you want only the best for him. But you can't help him. He's got to want to get sober on his own.
And the activities you described are classic enabling. You are not responsible for cleaning up his messes or covering up for him.
Take a big step back and hands off the alcoholic.
If he is to ever get clean and sober, it will only happen if he wants it to happen.
You can only take care of you, and how his drinking affects your life.
Welcome to Sober Recovery, I'm glad you found us.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ISHEHOPELESS.....Hi and Welcome
Please read many of these posts, this can go on for years or forever, check out these posts,see what happens when we get involved with an A.
If you are young and healthy, if I were you I would run. run fast and far. We cannot help them. Doubtfull that you could help the boy, it would be another reason for finding fault by the A.
Do I sound cold blooded, yes, but sometimes if they are left entirely alone. then they have to seek help. I understand, they can be sooo adorable. We are sure we are helping, and we are, we help them stay sick. If you cannot leave PLEASE get a lot of Al-Anon under your belt, both here and also please attend meetings. Meetings don't make sense at first, but go till you find a sponser, so you can talk one on one.
The AA and Al-Anon programs are the greatest thing ever.
Just know this is just my slant on this, others will give you great advise, Take what makes sense, look at everything, then only you can deceide. HUGS I know you need HUGS, come back here to SR and question everything untill you see an answer. Best Always clancy46