Divorced but still living together

Old 09-24-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Divorced but still living together

Filed for divorced a couple of weeks ago and it was final the next day

But we are still living together. 3.5 weeks to go before I move and he moves cross country.

My kids are doing well so far. They took the news of our divorce well. They will be more sad the closer it gets here. They asked if they could still talk to him (he's their stepdad) and I said yes but will be very mama-bear about their communication. If he fishes for info about me just once, it's done.

But the lies continue...

I could smell cigarettes when he came out of the bathroom last week. I confronted him about it...he denied it.
Yesterday I smelled it again and asked him about it. I told him I wasn't a dummy and I know what I'm smelling. I told him I didn't care if he was smoking but to not do it in the house. (We rent the house we are still living in) He said it was an electronic cigarette. I knew he was doing something!

These next 3.5 weeks can't go by fast enough...
Old 09-24-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why do you feel he can't smoke? Seems like you two are supposed to be living your own lives.

That may sound flip, but the fact is he can do as he wants. If he chooses to smoke, I don't see that you have any say over where he does it.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't care if he smokes. But we don't own the house we live in...we rent it. And there isn't supposed to be any smoking in the house. The last thing I need is for our landlord to keep our security deposit because of smoke odor.

He can go outside.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well I understand not wanting him to smoke inside, especially w/kids inside and it being rental property.

I hope the time passes very quickly!
Old 09-24-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Yensid, You are nothing if not a fast mover!!! I'm impressed. Decisive action on a serious issue should now be referred to as Yensiding a problem.

Hope the next few weeks go smoothly.

Try not to micromanage the smoking. He's a big boy. Maybe discuss how you will divide the security deposit if you get busted for it, and then let him decide what he wants to do. It's only a few weeks. I'm sure you want them to be as peaceful as possible.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hahaha! Thanks SeriousKarma =)

I knew my marriage was over the day I found out he started drinking again.

I've gotten a lot of support from the people around me. It really sucks to start over again but I know I've made the right decision.