Notices

First AA Meeting in 6 Years

Old 09-23-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First AA Meeting in 6 Years

So, I'm on Day 6 and I finally went to a meeting today (last week, I drove around the parking lot but didn't go in). It was Women's Only and there were a lot of people there. I can say that it wasn't great (like "I feel so connected and I want what these people have!") and it wasn't bad. I was a little uncomfortable because 1) I forgot to bring cash...even though I know you don't "have to" donate, I feel like you should if you can; 2) someone gave me a chip and I didn't know what to do with it, so she had to explain to me that it's a tradition to pass around chips and pray over them?; and 3) the hand-holding, praying, and "thanks for sharing" chants are things I will have to get used to. I think I'll go back next week but I'll be better prepared next time. Just wanted to share ("thanks for sharing, josharon!") ;-)
Old 09-23-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

glad to hear you went inside, I knew you'd do it
Old 09-23-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Glad it helped you aa helped me out aswell

congrats on day 6
Old 09-23-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Proud of ya!!!

Willingness - Great job!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have never been to a meeting. have been thinking about it but other than the praying and hand holding what else goes on?
Old 09-23-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations for stepping outside of your comfort zone, josharon. To me, that shows real conviction.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great stuff!!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm sure there are experienced people who have a LOT more to contribute, but this one was "Closed" (only people who want to stop drinking should attend), Discussion, and Women Only. They opened with reading a bunch of stuff, then the leader of the group told a story and set a discussion topic which was "just for today," then a bunch of people talked about that, they passed around a basket for donations, they asked if people had milestones for chips, they passed around the chips and everyone prayed while holding them, they had some announcements, and then everyone held hands and recited the Serenity Prayer and the Lord's Prayer...then they did that "keep coming back, it works if you work it" chant with everyone pulling each others' hands up and down. Oh, and they asked if there were any new members who wanted to introduce themselves, and some people did but I didn't.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well I give you credit for actually making it to the meeting - like I said before I haven't even left my house. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I attend AA as well...well, I have "connected" with one meeting really. I have not swallowed the whole hog so to speak. I really like the little group I have made my homegroup where I have found both "community and connection". I toured a bunch of different meetings before I settled into this one. I did attend a meeting last Friday night that I ended up walking out on halfway through. Truth be told I did have another pressing engagement and had only agreed to attend this meeting so I could pick up a book I had lent someone..but if I didn't have a reason to go..I would've wanted one.

For me "sober, recovery connections" are important to me. I find them here and I have been blessed to have some in AA...but..there is a lot I do not "resonate" with so to speak..and I don't HAVE to.

There are good relate-able folks in AA ..and there are some well not so relate-able.
Just like life...
Old 09-23-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you're working on your recovery.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yay JoSharon!!

Yeah, the rituals take a little getting used to ... I still feel doofy with the "it works if you work it and you're worth it" rally at the end - I feel like a little kid in kindergarten doing this:

Lol. I've been to - um - now nine meetings in nine days (woot?!) and only yesterday and today did I whisper the mantra along with everybody else at top volume. Haha. But the whole meeting process becomes a type of soothing ritual (for me at least so far). I've found myself looking forward to calm of it all.

Not every meeting is great; not every group a good fit. Just like every day is not always a good day, and not every co-worker a co-worker you look forward to seeing. I went to some this past April/May that just didn't stick.

My dad always said, "the right dose is what works." Find that right dose for yourself, by trial and error. Placebo tests, whatnot.

Congrats! Give it a chance. I say it's REALLY helped me so far, muuuuuch more than my prior attempt at sobriety without it earlier this year. They say you never are familiar with anything until to try it at least three times - only then it's no longer entirely foreign and strange. Hard to render too much judgment after one go ... glad you went!! Xoxo

(PS - first meeting in six years?... I think I missed something, or?)
Old 09-24-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

sharing your story has a healing effect, helps move things in your head and heart forward into wholeness. We traded love for a chemical so it's hard to turn it around. keep coming back.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good for you going and your sober time.
I needed to immerse myself in meetings and many suggest 90 in 90 days.
I bet there are meetings in your area almost around the clock.
It does work IF we work it.

BE WELL
Old 09-24-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

where did this chanting stuff come from ? this is the second time I've heard of it, I have never seen this and I have never heard of the old groups doing it. I'm good with change but really ?
Old 09-24-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Blood500, I'm not sure. This is the first womens-only meeting I've been to, and there were more "rituals" than I've seen in other meetings. Personally, it was a turnoff to me but I'm still trying to figure out if I need to just "keep coming back and working it" or not (see my latest post on the topic).
Old 09-24-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ghostdad View Post
I have never been to a meeting. have been thinking about it but other than the praying and hand holding what else goes on?
men and women share their experience, strength and hop with each other to stay sober and help other alcoholics achieve sobriety.
there are different formats of meetings. some are big book study, where some is read out of the BB and people share their experience/beliefs of it. some are 12&12 studies, which is the same as a BB study, only read out of the 12& 12( 12 steps and 12 traditions book). others are topic meetings where a topic is picked and people share their experience/beliefs on that topic. theres beginners meetings which are usually led by more experienced group members with the primary focus on introducing new members to the tools available for the maintenance of sobriety. theres also other literature meetings and other formats too meetings.

but the main thing that goes on is a group of alcoholics who have found a solution share their experience and help others to achieve sobriety.