Notices

3 day amnesia

Old 09-22-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 day amnesia

It seems after three days I completely forget the negativity of the last binge and then time to do it again. How on earth to stop when you keep forgetting?
Old 09-22-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Steve,

That's were support comes in, post here on the Forum BEFORE picking up that first drink!!

There's someone here 24/7 to give you a second opinion!!
Old 09-22-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ok great. Thanks. Something new to try!
Old 09-22-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I force myself to remember the bad times. The headache, nausea, guilt, regret, embarrassment. It just happened to me tonight, and before I did anything I stopped and thought it through. How will drinking make anything in my life better? How will I feel tomorrow? Do I really want to be a drunk, sucking down booze alone in my apartment? I have never regretted not drinking, but there are countless times I've wished I hadn't woken up with a hangover.

It takes practice but eventually it works. I have been where you are so many times. I guess one day something just clicked and I was sick of hating myself and feeling like sh!t.

Good luck to you. You can do this.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In addition, you could also write yourself a note when you're in the negative mode, so that when it dissipates and you're contemplating binging again, you can read the note and be reminded of the downside. (Handwrite it, so you can't deny you wrote it yourself!)

But-- yeah, this forum is a good place for help, even if you just lurk. Very inspiring.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is one of the reasons I wrote down my story when I joined this forum. It is SO EASY to forget how bad things had become, and tell yourself "at least I had a break for a few days, and can take a break again if I need to." I'm only 5 days sober, and I've had so many moments already where I could feel myself starting to slip. Stay strong, we're all in this together. :-)
Old 09-22-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Another suggestion. (And all of the ones above are excellent) I am not in AA or anything but I have a best friend who will support me in not drinking. If I tell her to help me not drink, I know I can call her and tell her that I want a drink and she will listen to me talk, and help me work around the craving or exhale the stress that makes me want to open that bottle of wine.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So grateful for the kind responses.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You could try videotaping a message to yourself and keeping it on your phone. A letter is a good idea, but what if the letter is at home when you are passing the bar. If you have it on your phone you could play it any time. Also, a video is a good way to see what you will look / sound like afterwards.

I have a video on my phone from a bad withdrawal where I am wimpering like a child. I cringe any time I watch it, but it is a good reminder of the pain.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I go to AA to remind me of who I was, who I am, and who I can be
Old 09-22-2014, 09:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have the letter on my phone and a commitment to read it every day. Thanks again everyone.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

i'm not sure it's forgetting exactly...I'd just convince myself it would be different this time...or the ever popular 'I feel great now how bad can the problem be'.

I recommend posting here - as much as you can. Really get down how you feel...and help other people. You'll find a lot of similarities in their stories too.

then, when the urge hurts - re-read here first. Ask for help.

You'll find it here Steve

D