Notices

Delirium Tremen

Old 09-22-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Let Go, Let God

Delirium Tremen

Hello everyone,

So, I've been off and on with drinking. I know I had an Epiphany this past Saturday night from our Higher Power and my guardian angels.... I'd love to explain but that would take too long.... and I knew right then that night both terrified and excited me to stop drinking for good. Or, take it one day at a time. I can't say I'll never drink again. None of us can really say that.

Anyway, the point of this thread is that I'm afraid because that night I was beginning to feel the symptoms of Delirium Tremen - DTs. I knew I was having mini seizures. I knew it, and I also read that when you go develop DTs you also begin to hallucinate and hear voices among other things. Well, I was definitely and still might be feeling those things. But I only feel these symptoms when I go to bed. I felt them again last night, and I felt paralyzed and hearing voices and was stuck between REM sleep and half asleep because I kept closing and opening my eyes. I don't ever feel these during the day.

Do seizures only happen when your body is relaxed? I've never had a seizure before but I know what they do because I've watched my sister having them. Even mini ones.

I know alcohol numbs your brain and neurotransmitters. When I didn't drink yesterday, the symptoms came up almost immediately once I laid down to sleep. My brain was throbbing. It says to seek immediate doctor attention, but if the same thing happens tonight I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow morning.

Just thoughts if anyone has them and/or if anyone has experienced DTs also.

Thanks for reading.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

If your suffering dt's you should go to your doctor or nearest er

immediatly
Old 09-22-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

We cannot give any Medical advice, so please be safe and talk to your dr or go to an ER.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
misanthrope

Originally Posted by zanabanana View Post
I can't say I'll never drink again. None of us can really say that.
We can't?
Old 09-22-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Let Go, Let God

Formerdrunkguy.... I guess I should have spoken for myself.

I am going to try one more night. If I still didn't get sleep and felt weird all night, I will call my doctor in the morning. For sure.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hope you're hanging in ok zana, please see the Dr.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Anything concerning should be checking out by a Dr!!

Don't mess around with withdrawals, they can be very serious, best to be safe!!
Old 09-22-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Let Go, Let God

Hey folks,

I think for the most part this evening I will be okay. I think the DT went away. I haven't been drinking, and I don't feel strange not drinking like I did the last few days when I went to bed. I just wanted to update you all.

Update you tomorrow if anyone's interested.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Zana - I had mild auditory hallucinations coming off of a binge of benzos and alcohol. I was still able to recognize that they were hallucinations though. I never had DTs though. Also, I have had sleep paralysis coming off opis, but just nightmares with the benzos / booze.

Is someone with you? If you do develop DTs how would you even get to the ER? This whole idea of doing this at home seems dangerous to put it mildly. I do dangerous stuff all the time, and should have died several times over probably. However, if I was legitimately worried that I was going to get DTs I would go see a doctor. We can't give medical advise, but you can google DTs and see what it is all about. The idea is to get to a doctor before you get DTs.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Let Go, Let God

OpioPhobe,

I live with my parents. So, I would have someone here with me. I've been fine all day but every time I lay in bed I get so freaked out. I am completely sober. I'm even talking with friends on Facebook. I just suddenly hearing stuff. Does that relate to DTs? Saturday night was the worst. I thought I was actually going to die. I haven't drank though since Friday. I don't do any other kind of drugs. It's only at night now I have a hard time.

I didn't think this would happen since I've been fine all day. Now I have to go see my doctor tomorrow.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Is there a reason you can't just go to the ER and make sure you are OK? Seeing a doctor tomorrow is fine and all, but why risk it? I am not tying to alarm you, but why take the chance? I don't have experience with DTs, but I wouldn't want to share it anyway if I did. It might give you a false sense of security.

This is kind of like someone saying that they have some chest pains but no tingling and wondering if they are going to have a heart attack. If you were that person and knew that you had a sognificant risk of a heart attack would you wait until you had the heart attack first before going to the ER?

Also, I missed the part about the seizures until I just reread your first post. I never had one, but this is starting to sound insane that you aren't seeing a doctor NOW in the ER or wherever. I am trying to avoid crossing the line on medical advice, and I don't know **** about alcohol withdrawal other than it sucks and it can take your life.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Zana

DTs don't 'go away'.

If you have any concerns at all - especially if you think you're having seizures or having hallucinations you need proper medical care.

There are other thing that can affect us too. I detoxed many many times apparently to no ill effect....but the last time I suffered several mini strokes.

I'll never be the same again.

I'm not a Doctor and I'm *not* saying thats in store for you, at all...but I am saying it's the best thing and the safest thing to go get checked out

Be smarter than I was. I hope you will be.

D
Old 09-23-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Let Go, Let God

All I can say was last night was insane. After I turned off the light, my eyes and brain were playing tricks on me. Everywhere I looked something in my bedroom moved like a creation of the night but when I flipped on the flashlight it was simply my cork board on the back of my closet door. Once the flashlight was off, it became something entirely else. Heck, I was so embarrassed to go wake up my mom in the middle of the night to have her check my bedroom to make sure she didn't see anything. I'm 27 years old. How embarrassed was I when I woke up this morning to her. However, my mother never judges me and she knows I have a severe alcohol problem. I did actually get a good night's sleep though for once. No bad dreams. Just the regular ones I get. I'm still me. Proper, educated Zana but by night.... gosh, I feel like a child again. I know for a fact this is my wake up call. THIS IS! Who wants to go to bed every night knowing there are "creatures" lurking in your room where they are only your bedroom objects? Insane.

I will take all of your advice and call my doctor today. I don't want to risk anything. I'm too young.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Zana, I'm glad you're feeling better. And, I hope that you talk to your dr.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The damage done from abrupt cessation of alcohol for the dependent drinker is well documented and all over the net--we can't discuss it here for liability reasons I suppose. An odd policy for a disease site to say the least. I say research everything you can AND see a doc (and not just any doc-one that is well versed in treating alcohol dependence). Glad to see you have support at home. Best wishes on your journey.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Let Go, Let God

Thank you to you both Anna and anattaboy.

I did make an appointment with my doctor but not until tomorrow. Oh well. I did have a physical done over a month ago and all my results came up perfect: heart, liver, spleen, kidneys, you name it. I even had the good high cholesterol. That's what I'm holding onto, and need to keep going. Alcohol is the only thing that is keeping me unhealthy. She also knows my alcohol history and is too concerned for me. I will keep posted. I don't have anything to hide when it comes to alcohol. I love the support here as well.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad you made an appointment Zana. Let us know how you get on

D
Old 09-23-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

For some reason, when I have been drinking and lay down my anxiety kicks in if I dont pass out. Then the next morning if I lay in bed too long my anxiety goes nuts. So I dont know why exactly that happens but it does to me.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

hey zana - hope your Dr's appt. goes well today darlin'
good luck
*HUGS*
Old 09-25-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Let Go, Let God

Hey everyone! Thank you for the support on this thread. This is a very scary and fatal topic to even discuss and I appreciate all the support and words from you all.

With that being said, I did go to the doctor and she said she doesn't believe it is DTs because they only last 72 hours. And that is the truth. I didn't have any Tuesday night. I told her how they were related to hallucinations/insomnia/anxiety/several alcohol withdrawal. Obviously. She said she believes I was out of the worst of it if I just stop drinking, which I am completely. She said if the hallucinations start to come back without drinking a sip then I need to tell her immediately, and she will think of a game plan. Fingers crossed though. I hope I'm out of the worst of it concerning DTs.