My sister shared her favorite poem with me....

Old 04-06-2002, 02:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Post My sister shared her favorite poem with me....

My sister sent this to me. She said she copied it out of a magazine when she having trouble in her first marriage many years ago and saved it.....thought I would share it with my friends

A hill is not to hard to climb
Taken one step at a time.
One step is not too much to take,
One try is not too much to make.
One step, one try, one song, one smile
Will shortly stretch into a mile.
And everything worth while was done
By small steps taken one by one
To reach the goal you started for
Take One step more, take one step more.

Author Unknown

Many hugs and much love,
Debbie
Old 04-11-2002, 01:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hi all

I guess I am taking the small steps and hoping to reach whatever it is I am hoping to reach....

Yesterday, I was feeling pissed and selfish. So far so good in his recovery, doing all the right things, outpatient during the day, a meeting here and there.....and I really know it is what he needs. But I feel like I am walking on egg shells. Is it too much to wish for a normal life!! God I feel selfish but I can't help feeling the way I feel. This alcohol has made my life hell. I hope and I pray that this is recovery and not just abstinance but we've been through it so may times, who knows.

Anyway, thanks again for letting me vent. Maybe its just PMS.....can't wait for my meeting tonight.....

Take care.
Many hugs.
Love
Debbie
Old 04-11-2002, 12:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Debbie!

You're feeling selfish? That's GREAT! It means you are making a priority of yourself, probably for the first time in your life. You're just having trouble getting used to it. BE SELFISH. It's right to be thinking about what YOU want.

Hugs,
Smoke
Old 04-11-2002, 01:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Hi Debbie..

I was about to go out looking for you. I figured either things were going very well or you were busy regrouping.

Keep going to your meetings, keep in touch with us and do your reading and focus on yourself to help keep your focus off him.

Never forget the first step...you are powerless over alcohol and therefore the alcoholic. THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO! Say it to yourself every day, every minute if you need to. And in my humble opinion, selfish is where you need to be. You need to be taking care of yourself and your own serenity...because Debbie, that's what it is all about. Peace amid the storm.

Let him worry about his own progress...

You are going in the right direction...just keep taking one step more...

(((((((Lot's of hugs))))))
Paula
Old 04-11-2002, 05:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hi Smoke, Paula & all

I guess it kind of felt wrong being pissed. But I know its okay. I should be thinking of me, but its really hard not to worry and do what I always have done....tried to control and have things my way even though it never really worked out the right way. I am having a hard time letting it go. I keep reading, and writing in my journal, hoping to eventually find the answers to the questions that I keep asking myself or to find some comfort in just letting it out.

We are both on two new journeys in our lives....recovery for him and recovery for me. I hope I can be supportive without being too controling but I really don't see myself letting it go totally. I have faults but guess what, I know its ok not to be perfect.

Tonight was a good meeting. I bought a couple of books to read. I saw some of the same faces and some new ones, from all different walks of life and I realize this disease doesn't discriminate.....

Anyway, just felt like sharing a little. I feel a little more at peace in my mind. One day at a time.....

Take care my friends and see you tomorrow, I need some sleep.

Many hugs.
Love,
Debbie

PS Sorry if this was rambling and made no sense.... Sometimes I tend to go to subject to subject without thinking the last thought through.....
Old 04-12-2002, 10:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Debbie,

When feel the temptation to get in there and try to control things...try to remember what that behavior got you previously. As in...guilt, regret, hysteria and a whole boat load of grief and pain. If you don't know what to do, don't do anything. When you are suppose to know what to do...you will just know. That's how this revovery stuff works. More will be reveled...

Keep up the good work!
Paula
Old 04-13-2002, 05:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hi Paula

I am going to remember your words of advice. Thanks so much for the support

You take care.
Many hugs.
Love
Debbie