Notices

One week but having false hamgovers?!?

Old 09-22-2014, 12:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One week but having false hamgovers?!?

I've got 7 days (yay!!) but the last few mornings ive been waking up with hangover symptoms - drowsy, headache, feeling sick.

Anybody else get this?! It's weird because it does pass but I didn't get it last time I quit.

I hope everybody's keeping well,

FF xxx
Old 09-22-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hangovers not hamgovers! * 😂
Old 09-22-2014, 12:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I get those sometimes too, also at 7 days.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you sure they are really like hangovers? Hangovers for me were an absolutely throbbing head, complete dehydration and a terrible cramp like feeling in my stomach. I would often throw up.

I would be surprised if you're feeling anything as bad as that. I'm afraid feeling drowsy in the morning affects us all but seriously if the symptoms continue, please seek professional medical advice.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's the same as the less intense hangovers I used to suffer but for nowhere near as long! Just the dehydrated feeling and General aching then when I'm awake properly it passes. Part of me wonders if I drank for so long my mind is tricking me into it-as if it's the norm for me and my brain just needs to catch up now I've quit?!
Old 09-22-2014, 02:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done Flossy eveything you described in your post was normal and par for the course

ie the aches pain cold like symptons

high 5 on 7 days flossy
Old 09-22-2014, 02:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Drink water and lots of it. It took me a while to feel normal but to be honest I was not sure what normal felt like. I drank everyday for so long I nothing to compare it to.

I do know it gets better, hang in there. Congrats on your 7 days!

I was honestly hoping this was a thread about ham. I could use me a ham sammich about now!

Take it easy!
Old 09-22-2014, 02:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Well done Flossy eveything you described in your post was normal and par for the course ie the aches pain cold like symptons high 5 on 7 days flossy
Thank you :-)
Old 09-22-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
Drink water and lots of it. It took me a while to feel normal but to be honest I was not sure what normal felt like. I drank everyday for so long I nothing to compare it to. I do know it gets better, hang in there. Congrats on your 7 days! I was honestly hoping this was a thread about ham. I could use me a ham sammich about now! Take it easy!
Haha you know now I want a ham sandwich too!

Thank you-I've had cravings this weekend too but I got through it xxx
Old 09-22-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have had the same thing. Congrats on 7 days!
Old 09-22-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on a week.
that is normal. for me the hangover feeling came and went for a while. fluids, vitamins, diet and exercise. did you see a health care professional about this?
Old 09-22-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Totally normal. Multivitamin, b supplement really helped me.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Happy one week birthday!

I am on Day 10, and it has been seriously hard this last five days. Can't focus enough to work, thirsty all the time, body pain all over, severe headache that turned into a migraine on the 4th day. I too looked for help on SR and was happy to see that others had the same symptoms (although it seems milder than mine). Today I told my class group that I think my body is screaming at me to give it a drink! NOW! OR ELSE! and it is punishing me for saying no.

Just hang on. Today I have some mental clarity and only mild headache and body aches. I feel more determined than ever because I got through it. Each time I say no, it gives me more confidence that I can say no in the future.

You can do it!
Old 09-22-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

First few weeks I was all over the place, dizzyy, headaches, tired etc

The body needs time to heal and adjust, years of drinking can't be sorted out in a week, the body is a fantastic machine, but it needs time to make it happen!!

Hang in there!!
Old 09-22-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's not psychosomatic. Do you usually resolve to quit after an especially harsh night of drinking? I think that's what most of us do. A "hangover" is basically another way to describe alcohol poisoning that didn't kill you. There is no reason why it would resolve itself in any specific period of time. It's just like the flu or any illness, it goes away when it goes away.

Pedialyte is good. Sleep is good. Rest is good. Quiet, peaceful environment also good.

I've quit a few times. Each time I would be so frustrated that I didn't feel better a few days or weeks later. Or that 3 months later I hadn't achieved all my goals. It's funny to me now. Because the quantity I can drink is truly poisonous, it is toxic, the idea that I would drink that much and be feeling great within a few weeks makes no sense ... I didn't see it at the time. A lot of that had to do with my friends/environment/and just what I had told myself was normal. What had become normal to me.

I also think all the drinking makes us disconnected from our bodies, hence all the "should I be feeling this" "is this normal" type of questions that come up in early recovery
We become used to divorcing ourselves from our bodies in order to drink really gross tasting alcohol, drink as fast as possible (shots), drink even after vomiting. We become used to disregarding our bodies signals and not taking care of ourselves.

Listen to your body, it's not faking you out! If you feel sick and tired, you are. Do whatever you can to take care of yourself.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Cravings, feeling sick in the morning, sounds like what you have could be entirely unrelated to alcohol. LOL.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flossyfressia View Post
I've got 7 days (yay!!) but the last few mornings ive been waking up with hangover symptoms - drowsy, headache, feeling sick.

Anybody else get this?! It's weird because it does pass but I didn't get it last time I quit.

I hope everybody's keeping well,

FF xxx
Im just 8 days in and I have had this same experience. I also didn't have this the last two timea but I was in a clinic. I have been drinking loads of water and tsking vitamin b complex and since this morning I feel good again. Unlike the past two timwa I didn't come off from a total bender this time. I tapered off. I hope the good days start coming on a more regular basis.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ghostdad View Post
Cravings, feeling sick in the morning, sounds like what you have could be entirely unrelated to alcohol. LOL.

Haha you sound like my mum! ;-)
Old 09-22-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by "3arai; [/QUOTE
I also think all the drinking makes us disconnected from our bodies, hence all the "should I be feeling this" "is this normal" type of questions that come up in early recovery We become used to divorcing ourselves from our bodies in order to drink really gross tasting alcohol, drink as fast as possible (shots), drink even after vomiting. We become used to disregarding our bodies signals and not taking care of ourselves. Listen to your body, it's not faking you out! If you feel sick and tired, you are. Do whatever you can to take care of yourself.
This really resonates with me-thank you xx
Old 09-22-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I agree that whole post was excellent 3arai. What is normal when you have been drinking most all of your life? I am really struggling with that right now. I know the drunk me very well but who is the sober me?