Notices

Tryin' again, to shake this drug's hold....

Old 09-21-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tryin' again, to shake this drug's hold....

Caffeine.

I really have come to suspect that many years of far too much caffeine - perhaps the aggregate impact of caffeine and alcohol and other drugs over the years - have resulted in systemic issues for me.

Today I haven't had any coffee yet. I already have a dull headache and I'm sure it'll worsen.

I guess I will have little choice but to have at least SOME today.... the last time I managed to wean off it, took me four days of headaches.

And then, on day five, I had "just one cup" and within weeks I was back at it; hammering back way too many mgs a day.

I think it is a core issue for me that is undermining the quality of my sleep and also inhibiting proper hormone production and throwing my body and energy rhythms out of whack in a number of ways.

So.... here I go again. In many ways, this is harder than alcohol to kick.

Day one.... 'weaning' begins.

ugh
Old 09-21-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ugh, sounds hard. Maybe replace it with green tea if that helps. I can't say much since I pound the coffee. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think most of us coffee drinkers underestimate the impact of caffeine. I switched to decaf when I was pregnant with my kids and now pretty much only drink decaf. When I do drink caffeinated I notice my anxiety shoot up, I get jitters, I want a drink to calm my nerves but that's out of the question. Last night I had some caffeine and had trouble sleeping.

Maybe try weaning by exactly measuring your coffee. Start with half regular, half decaf and work your way gradually to no caffeine. Drink more water too. That helps with the headaches. I could never wean from alcohol but I was able to do it with coffee since I still got to drink it. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks Ruby.... I'm gonna have to try that approach.... just stopping is out of the question.

I have a screaming headache already... had to take acetaminophen with caffeine and I waited too long so now the head hurts so bad I am feeling like I'll vomit.

I have been drinking very strong coffee for so long, often several a day, that my body is just totally physically addicted.

weaning...... weaning.... whining..... and weaning....
Old 09-21-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I noticed that since I stopped drinking, I drink way to much coffee.

Yesterday was bad, I made a hole 12 cup pot, had the hole thing without food in me.
The anxiety attack was bad, really bad. Today I slowed down to 3 cups, feeling ok.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

This is weird (no schadenfreude here, seriously) , but maybe I can claim a little 'normie-hood' here. I don't think I have a problem with coffee, in the am 'have' to have it, but really on the days I may not be able to have some , it only hits me after the fact.
I have heard that quitting coffee leads to terrible headaches , just thinking out loud but, would substituting green/herbal teas and then weaning with caffeine tablets help?
I think I woud have an easier time of it, though the hard part may be trying to figure out the right dosing schedule. ?
Old 09-21-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yeah.... the hard part for me is figuring out when and how much to take to keep ahead of these terrible headaches and nausea.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I completely dropped caffeine (I used to take pills if 200 mg with ephedrine, mainly for training) but I had to tapper it off slowwwwwwly... From over 1200mg a day for a week, to 1100mg, to 1000mg etc... Until completely dropped... And I started green tea instead...

The headaches disappeared and now here I am... Drinking about 5 cups of green tea per day and sleeping perfectly...

So I think that tappering it off slowly is the key to let the body fonctionnel slowly without it and not getting the headaches or very very little.

Caffein is another strong drug! Too bad it's legal!
Old 09-21-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I quit coffee for 6 months to see how much better I would feel. Used to drink two pots a day. After 6 months did not feel any better so I started drinking it again, now 4 cups a day not 20. Feel fine.

there are lots of studies which say it is pretty good for you in limited doses. I switched the extra coffee to sun tea, and just plain old water.

Good luck , but I would not beat myself up over coffee!!!! It is the IRISH COFFEE you need to stay away from!!!!
Old 09-21-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just as an aside, green tea has caffeine. Not as much...

Caffeine content for coffee, tea, soda and more - Mayo Clinic
Old 09-21-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by herradura View Post
I quit coffee for 6 months to see how much better I would feel. Used to drink two pots a day. After 6 months did not feel any better so I started drinking it again, now 4 cups a day not 20. Feel fine.

there are lots of studies which say it is pretty good for you in limited doses. I switched the extra coffee to sun tea, and just plain old water.

Good luck , but I would not beat myself up over coffee!!!! It is the IRISH COFFEE you need to stay away from!!!!
yeah... it's the "limited doses" part that is a challenge for me. I have had WAYY too much for WAYY too long.... and in those doses it's demonstrated to have negative effects on the body in many ways.

I think what's needed is a total detox from the stuff for a period long enough for my body to rebalance to it's natural state. Then, perhaps....