Notices

Seeing Missed Opportunities for Connecting

Old 09-20-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Seeing Missed Opportunities for Connecting

Hi.

Today I attended a meeting. A woman I once worked with was there. She shared an intimate, bittersweet detail about her life and how sobriety brought joy to a pain-filled past.

After the meeting, I approached this woman. Instead of thanking her for sharing that aspect of her life, I asked her an unrelated question about work.

I missed an opportunity to connect.

It occurs to me how easy it was, while I was actively addicted, to act with shallow sincerity, or to miss making a true connection when I could have.

Now that I'm sober, I'm beginning to see the ah-hah moments. With practice, I'll be better able to make connections when they present themselves.

If it weren't for sobriety and God's gift of grace, these lessons would pass me by, unheeded.

I'm glad I'm sober, even if it feels uncomfortable every once in a while.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

I missed an opportunity this week also C & took note of it, but I am also feeling more comfortable in making a connection with others....think this will just get more comfortable as we "move along" in sobriety
Old 09-20-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your sincere experience. I think you are a very thoughtful person. I often replay social situations in my head and tell myself I should have done or said things differently. I'm not sure if I make fewer of these mistakes the longer I'm sober or if it is normal for people to feel this way in general. I look at the "improv" of social situations as inherently error prone.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hooray for you awareness. It's something pretty special isn't it? It is only in this sobriety that I have finally discovered how vital "connection" is to my success in sobriety.. connection to myself...my spirituality and those I am blessed with in my world.