Notices

Great week, Brilliant day, Terrible evening

Old 09-20-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Great week, Brilliant day, Terrible evening

As some of you may know I've been on and off here for a while now. Been a good week for me, works good, eating well, been feeling happy. Went to the football today and unbelievably my team won with the best performance I've seen in a few years. All the lads went straight out to celebrate and I came home. Great news from a sober point of view but missing out on the after match celebrations just doesnt feel right. Not sure what I hope to achieve by posting this and even if anyone gets my point but I thought I'd post it here rather than text my mates to see where they are. (I know, in the pub drinking and having a laugh) Saturdays just arent the same.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I felt the same way in my earlier sobriety. Now that I have some time, I found that I don't desire to hang out in a pub or bar anymore. For me, the negatives far outweighed the positives. Reaching out on SR makes sense as we truly get where you are coming from
Old 09-20-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You made the right choice not going. But I don't think it has to be a life sentence.

After you have strong sobriety legs under you, maybe you will be able to go and drink something non-alcoholic. With a good exit plan of course
Old 09-20-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just recently did 6 weeks sober which was massive for me. Had a beer one night and bam, back to daily drinking. I dont think i'll ever be able or strong willed enough to go out when my mates are drinking and not join in. On a plus note, I can remember everything about the match, lol
Old 09-20-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Ownington i DJ i used to do pirate radio illegal raves and clubs but since getting sober ive turned my back on all that

My saturdays are drastically diffrent i only DJ at home now but tbh at the moment its x factor with the missus and me and her going theatre cinema restraunts etc

the lil things make me very happy these days

if you were out celebrating with them drinking do a fast forward to the next day and so on

its not celebrating by destroying yourself your team won be happy

arsenal destroyed villa 3 goals in 4 minutes my team won too

ownington over time youl find other things to take your mind off things what do you find enjoyable to do activity wise

hang in there bud
Old 09-20-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

soberwolf mate, I grew up a rave child. Broke my heart when I sold my 1210's. Travelled the country every weekend in my 20's getting mashed, and I don't regret it. I miss it, i won't or can't do it now but it was a massive part of my life. You're lucky you're a gooner mate, I was born on Teesside, I have to put up with being a Boro fan.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

Things are not the same sober- thats the way it is- it's the deal. your romantic portrayal of the celebration leaves out the aftermath. If there wasn't a downside I would not be here either.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sold your 1210's woah i cant even get rid of my broken mixers i keep em for parts spares etc lol and yes arsenal i have loved since 1986 we can talk music dubs white labels etc

i dont miss getting drunk i dont miss the rush of coke i dont miss the out of my face feeling of mdma

itchy said something that really struck a chord with me it went something like this ...

even if god himself came down from heaven and said soberwolf you can drink now i take all danger away all bad feeling nothing bad will happen i swear it

i would tell god thanks but no thanks there is nothing i miss i am truly happy without

Alcohol nearly killed me i disgraced my soul to a point i hate alcohol

alcohol has got the whole world hooked and no one can see it i hear this word normal...there is no normal in my eyes no one will convince me what life has shown me

biggest trick devil can play is making you think he dont exist

thinking your not alcoholic while putting alcohol into your body is another trick
Old 09-20-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me a long time to stop thinking like a drinker owington. I had fear of missing out too and it bugged me.

The more I stayed sober tho the more I changed...and now things that were once very important to me are no longer as important.

I'm not a football follower but I play a bit of music...the after gig post mortem is usually a winding down drinking experience.

I used to miss it...a lot...then I found I didn't really like being in pubs anymore.

Tob be honest, I much prefer packing up quickly and getting the hell out of there home to a bit of supper and the TV.

If I need a gig post mortem I call the guys

I changed

stick with it

D
Old 09-20-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You will remember the game and you will not feel terrible tomorrow morning! It's an adjustment, but a good one.