Notices

First day

Old 09-20-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question First day

Today is my first day of quitting drinking. I've tried and failed before. It's so hard to say goodbye forever because alcohol was my closest friend for a very long time. I have a lot of stressors which trigger my anxiety so I self medicate. I know how terrible this is for me and I want to change.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Jennybeth - so good to meet you.

I felt the same about alcohol. I clung to it, even though it was destroying me. I was afraid to let go of the comfort it once gave me. All it brought me in the end was anxiety and pain. You don't need it. We're here to encourage and support you. You can do it.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Hevyn. I appreciate your quotes!
Old 09-20-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

great decision.

One of the unexpected things for me was that when I got sober my resilience increased- I am less on edge and it takes more to upset me
Old 09-20-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Great step in the right direction to a happy life!

Personally Alcohol actually increased my anxiety 10000 folds.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to sober recovery jennybeth

you have made a wonderful decision in getting sober

nice to meet you
Old 09-21-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. I'm glad you found us. You'll find lots of support here.
I also drank to curb my anxiety. And I, too, drank for a very long time. So long, in fact. that alcohol turned from being my friend to being my worst enemy.
I turned into an almost daily drinker, and I don't mean small amounts. I was drinking whiskey at 8am to stop the anxiety from the previous days' drunk.

By then alcohol was the cause of my anxiety. I couldn't live with it and I couldn't live without it. It was a vicious cycle.
It's hard to think of forever when giving it up. I just thought 'I won't drink today'. That was manageable. I can do that. I learned to live life as it comes, and that I no longer needed to drink to deal with my problems.
I was a bad drunk and it's been three years eight months since alcohol has crossed my lips.
You can do it, too. Congratulations on your decision to quit. And congratulations on day one. You can do it. We're all here for you.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! You have come to the right place. As ghostlight said focus on one day at a time.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Jennybeth - lots of support understanding and good advice here

You'll have to deal with stress for a while so do reach out here for help before it's too late

D
Old 09-21-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jennybeth79 View Post
Today is my first day of quitting drinking. I've tried and failed before. It's so hard to say goodbye forever because alcohol was my closest friend for a very long time.

Hi and welcome to a new lifestyle if you let it happen.
Many alcoholics considered alcohol our friend until we look at where it led us and leads us to. With friends like it who needs enemies?
I don’t suffer well and when my pain got to the point of me feeling sick and tired of being sick and tired I surrendered to the FACT that I cannot any drink alcohol in safety. It’s that simple! The first few weeks was a Rember When I don’t ever want to repeat and but for the grace of a higher power I haven’t for a long time.
This part of our life requires self honesty about our drinking and acceptance cannot drink in safety.
Then the rest is action involving work and change within our self to get and STAY sober.

BE WELL
Old 09-21-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi JennyB welcome. I am new too and struggling with quitting, giving up my 'best friend'. I thought alcohol was my best friend for a long time like you and often quoted this fact as one of the reasons I couldn't give it up. Believe me when I say it is your worst enemy and no friend. Would we let a friend treat us this way. I wouldn't. So I am struggling with this also but I know I have to do it and so desperately want it. I think you can to. All the best and be strong I know you can do it.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Jennybeth! Like you, the idea of a life without alcohol was (IS) completely overwhelming. I'm on Day 4 and I don't plan to drink today.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum jennybeth!! Great to have you onboard!!