Notices

stumbled across my stepfathers rum just now.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

stumbled across my stepfathers rum just now.

Feeling very triggered, but I will live to fight on guys.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. I found a bottle of Fireball a couple days ago that I must have stashed when I was blacked out. It was so tempting but I knew I'd hate myself if I drank it.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Whatever you do, don't drink. PolarBear, I hope you tossed yours out!
Old 09-19-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's s lot like a cross roads guys. We can make the decision to go back the way we came, and end up at the cross roads again...or we can take a new road.

Take the new road - it's hard now but you'll look back and be glad you did

D
Old 09-19-2014, 10:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Not sure about nintendo since it's his stepfather's, but I can't bring myself to toss it out. I wanted to but I'm afraid if I touch it I'll drink it. I just shut the cabinet.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I felt the same way once. I kept a half bottle of vodka under the sink. I didn't want to smell it or touch it. I was afraid. Then again, keeping that vodka under there was not as terrifying as the idea of it NOT being there. That was where my true terror lay but I was too afraid to admit that. Fear, fear, FEAR! Eventually, I took a deep breath, turned on the water and dumped the vodka. I may have closed my eyes when I did it. Then, in an act of defiance, I rinsed out the bottle. A couple of minutes later, I was pulling the bottle out of the bin, trying to get one last drop. Alas, water!

It was hard but I knew that if I kept that snake in my house, it would eventually bite me and I would die. Dump the drink. Rinse out the bottle. Maybe you panic and try to get that last drop like I did. Maybe you don't. But a sober alcoholic doesn't keep a bottle of booze in the house if they're afraid of it.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
I felt the same way once. I kept a half bottle of vodka under the sink. I didn't want to smell it or touch it. I was afraid. Then again, keeping that vodka under there was not as terrifying as the idea of it NOT being there. That was where my true terror lay but I was too afraid to admit that. Fear, fear, FEAR! Eventually, I took a deep breath, turned on the water and dumped the vodka. I may have closed my eyes when I did it. Then, in an act of defiance, I rinsed out the bottle. A couple of minutes later, I was pulling the bottle out of the bin, trying to get one last drop. Alas, water!

It was hard but I knew that if I kept that snake in my house, it would eventually bite me and I would die. Dump the drink. Rinse out the bottle. Maybe you panic and try to get that last drop like I did. Maybe you don't. But a sober alcoholic doesn't keep a bottle of booze in the house if they're afraid of it.
I can relate somewhat. When I quit for 5 weeks a while back, I kept a six pack in my bedroom closet. If it wasn't there, I felt like I would have panicked that I'm out of alcohol.

It actually worked for me. I was having next to no cravings. The only reason why I caved and went back is because I felt like I would never feel any better. I was tired of feeling so blah.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you doing nintendoguy90?

It actually worked for me. I was having next to no cravings. The only reason why I caved and went back is because I felt like I would never feel any better. I was tired of feeling so blah.
Not sure you can claim it 'worked' when you went back to drinking PB

Do you see a connection between the two - a willingness to completely give alcohol up?

A small but persistant belief that alcohol in some respect still 'works' where sobrotety doesn't?

D