Notices

I caved

Old 09-19-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I caved

I am such a weenie!

I went out with a friend to a TexMex place last night to celebrate that my blood work and tests all came back negative. Normally, when we go out we have margaritas. So last night she ordered hers and I said "ice tea".

She freaked! What?? Iced tea?!?! I thought we were here to celebrate!! I caved immediately... ok, I'll have a margarita.

So round two...she orders hers and I refused a second drink (small victory). She was perplexed. I didn't explain or anything.

But, now feeling guilty for feeling guilty. Sigh
Old 09-19-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Did your friend know you were celebrating b/c your bloodwork came back ok?
Seems a bit odd that she would WANT to celebrate that by ordering drinks.

today is a new day, a fresh start.
was that margarita worth it?
Old 09-19-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Methinks the tea would have been fine to celebrate and I think you know now. Keep on truckin'.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yes she knew we were celebrating. that's the reason we went out. no the margarita was not worth it. Oh well
Old 09-19-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sadie, at least you kept it at one drink. I admire you for that because I don't think I could do it. Don't let it be your excuse to have anymore this weekend.

Kind of ironic that you are celebrating your blood work coming back good and having a drink on top of it?

Hope you do better today.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Be happy with your small victory of sticking to one and start over. I caved as well two days ago, but kept it to one, so I felt that it was a small victory. Yesterday I started over and made it through the night without drinking, even though my husband (who was going to quit with me), decided to get into the wine. And then he got crabby because I still wasn't drinking....LOL.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

exactly, you didn't have that one and say "AH CRAP IT ALL, GIMME ANOTHER"
you had one and stopped. don't beat yourself up. Start again.

I would be a bit apprehensive going out with said friend again though. That's just me.
It sounds like a bit too much temptation too early. And I'd like to think my friends wouldn't want me to drink after worrying my bloodwork was going to be bad DUE to drinking. Again, that's just me
Old 09-19-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My friend initiated and paid for the whole deal. So I felt like I had to "go along" with it and be a good sport and not rain on her parade. She doesn't know that I am trying to quit, so that is my fault for not telling her. I didn't think it was the right place and time to announce it since it was her party. We have been friends for many years and doing margaritas is our "thing". Get a buzz on and solve the world's problems . I hate to have to stop that after all these years, but things change.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

A new day Sadie - Onward we go
Old 09-19-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jupiters View Post
exactly, you didn't have that one and say "AH CRAP IT ALL, GIMME ANOTHER"
you had one and stopped. don't beat yourself up. Start again.

I would be a bit apprehensive going out with said friend again though. That's just me.
It sounds like a bit too much temptation too early. And I'd like to think my friends wouldn't want me to drink after worrying my bloodwork was going to be bad DUE to drinking. Again, that's just me
No...the bloodwork and tests were for another issue, non-drinking related. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SadieJack View Post
Get a buzz on and solve the world's problems . I hate to have to stop that after all these years, but things change.
LOL
yup, been there. We can solve the world's problems, but not our own. Doh!
Old 09-19-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

today might be a good day to invite your friend out to lunch or afternoon tea and just be honest and explain what's going on.

don't dump guilt on her, just tell her the matter-of-fact truth; "I don't want to drink anymore because my life is better without it. Last night I caved and I feel pretty glum about that, and I'd just like you to know so that in the future you understand why I'm not joining you in drinking. We can still celebrate and have good times, I'm just going to do it in a different way from now on".

Just a thought.

Either way, time for a deep breath, some reflection, some self-forgiveness and moving on.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
The man with the BIG plan!

I completely understand

My ex wife FREAKED OUT when I told her I wanted to quit drinking a long time ago. She said, "I could never live with a man that doesn't drink". I still stayed in that relationship for another 3 years drinking. So glad I am no longer with her!!!
Old 09-19-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
today might be a good day to invite your friend out to lunch or afternoon tea and just be honest and explain what's going on.

don't dump guilt on her, just tell her the matter-of-fact truth; "I don't want to drink anymore because my life is better without it. Last night I caved and I feel pretty glum about that, and I'd just like you to know so that in the future you understand why I'm not joining you in drinking. We can still celebrate and have good times, I'm just going to do it in a different way from now on".

Just a thought.

Either way, time for a deep breath, some reflection, some self-forgiveness and moving on.
Thanks FreeOwl - I will talk with her soon about it. It will be hard for he to accept, but she will. She knows my family history of addiction so I think she will understand my need to quit. Just a new normal for me.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Just put it down to experience and avoid doing it again. Well done for not having more. I would have been dancing on the tables an hour later xx
Old 09-19-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

See, I know 95% of folks on here would call this (quietly think/judge) what you did as a failure). I guess I don't, mostly.

You had 1- Not 12.
You stopped there (I am assuming the next thing you drank we iced tea or water).
You didn't stop on the way home and buy a bottle/case of beer.
You are here now.

I'd say you had a tiny sip, and managed quite well to recognize it for what it was, and HALT right there. I'd call that a small slip, and a big victory (so far) in the end.

I am sure I am in the minority here though.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SadieJack View Post
My friend initiated and paid for the whole deal. So I felt like I had to "go along" with it and be a good sport and not rain on her parade. She doesn't know that I am trying to quit, so that is my fault for not telling her. I didn't think it was the right place and time to announce it since it was her party. We have been friends for many years and doing margaritas is our "thing". Get a buzz on and solve the world's problems . I hate to have to stop that after all these years, but things change.
Ya...glad to see you're "owning" this Sadie. If "margarita's" have been your friendship "thing" for years and you two went out...and you didn't have a "chat" bout things and your sobriety beforehand...

You relapsed long before you ordered that drink..if you know what I mean. Rain on her parade? Ya you made plans to go to that parade hours beforehand. No?
Old 09-19-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
misanthrope

Impressive you stopped at 1 drink. I would have left their sh*tfaced.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by unitedguy View Post
My ex wife FREAKED OUT when I told her I wanted to quit drinking a long time ago. She said, "I could never live with a man that doesn't drink". I still stayed in that relationship for another 3 years drinking. So glad I am no longer with her!!!
people are unreal some times.
I could never live with a man that doesn't drink? LMAO
uh, ok. Way to have standards! jeeez
Old 09-19-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Reminds me of that old movie "The Days of Wine and Roses". She couldn't live with him sober and he could live with her drunk. Sad movie