Notices

How do you feel weeks after sobriety?

Old 09-18-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you feel weeks after sobriety?

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I am a functional 26 yr old alcoholic. I drank every night after work. I haven't had a single day without drink for 2 years. Last night, I fought the urges and am proud to say I am on day 2 of sobriety!!

With that being said, I want to build some motivators for times when I feel the urges come back. How do you feel in the weeks and months after quitting daily alcohol abuse? Does your senses come back? Do you find joy in the little things again? Anything and everything, I would love to hear it!
Old 09-18-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here lorathar - I have 37 days today & feeling "hopeful" - I have far less anxiety & more comfortable being around people. Be gentle with yourself - pamper yourself in little ways, nourish your body with healthy food, drink lots of water, take a hot bath. I am using positive affirmations which is a huge help, as is this site.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The longest I've gone in 15 years is 5 weeks before going back.

I will admit, I didn't feel much better after that time period. Maybe a little more alert. That's why I started again, just to feel like what I considered "normal". I didn't have cravings after the 5 weeks though. In fact during most of that time the thought of drinking made me nauseous.

It may not have been long enough for me. It seems everyone has a different story; different reactions. I guess give it as much time as it takes for your body to heal and readjust. Hang in there.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm 22 days into this attempt at sobriety.

First off i must say my SLEEP has been monumentally better. I'm getting a solid 8-9 hours nightly.

Mentally much more alert and able to focus on my tasks at work.

Still emotionally all over the place...Feel like i want to be alone alot of the time, but i'm forcing myself out of that head space...It's lead me back to drinking before.

And mostly...i'm not dreading getting up and facing each day. Alcohol is a depressant i know it made me severely depressed.

It's not all pleasant...But it's ALOT better than it was. And i'm still learning.

Recovery takes work. But the rewards are great.

I wish you well.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am on Day Four and I feel much better already. Although I didn't sleep so well last night, there is nothing better in the world ... and I mean nothing that I can think of right now, that is better than waking up without a hangover.

Good luck.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I find myself singing every day.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lorothar View Post
How do you feel in the weeks and months after quitting daily alcohol abuse? Does your senses come back? Do you find joy in the little things again? Anything and everything, I would love to hear it!

Seems that most (show great improvement) in 6 months to a year of sobriety.
There is a poll taken here on site that may be of some help.

poll
When Did Sobriety Start To Run Smoothly ??

MM
Old 09-18-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One thing I will say is that you most definitely start to appreciate the little things. Alcohol creates emotional instability and given time away from it you will soon start to realise how far from reality you have really been the whole time you have been drinking. It is hard, there is no doubt about it but stick with it and you start to appreciate the beauty of life again. I have these moments of elation where I realise I'm not directly responsible for messing my life up anymore. Yes I am powerless to many of life's hardships but I actually feel I could face them now where as when I was drinking I was so much weaker. When you start to beat something that has controlled you for years you begin to realise you can do a hell of a lot more in your life, that's where the fun really starts. Strength to you.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In a word, I felt Hope,
and it will OK to not drink.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm enjoying the person I am now.. The person I was prior to being a binger.... Physically feeling and sleeping well at 18 days..
Old 09-18-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Overall, I just feel more equipped to deal with life, the good, the bad, the whole thing. I'm on Day 68 today.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello lorothar! I'm in my 4th week and feeling better in a number of ways. My overall mood is definitely improved, and I'm feeling a sort of contentment that I haven't felt in ages. Part of that may have to do with less regret over my decisions, and part of it is surely just my brain balancing itself back out. It feels like I'm getting reacquainted with the real me, as cliche as that probably sounds.

There have been a few rocky days of what I now know is post-acute withdrawal-- anxiety and moodiness for the most part. But these moments pass and in reality they are nothing compared with the morning angst from my drinking days.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I used to deem myself a "Functional Alcoholic" too - because I had a job, and a car, and a place to live. Some money in the bank.

I was a slave to the bottle, misery, and depression. I thought of suicide frequently. I felt nothing but anger, anxiety, and self hatred unless I had a drink in my hand. I drank until I passed out after work every night, and the majority of my thoughts revolved around planning my next drink. I felt completely insane in my brain, and empty in my heart and soul. I risked my life by drinking and driving on a regular basis, and my relationships were all in shambles.

Just because I wasn't a street person - doesn't mean that was a "functional way to live". If you're anything like me - you might want to re-think that term.

SO - to answer your question

I'm on day 24. My skin has cleared up and I was told by my personal trainer yesterday that I look like I'm "glowing" this last couple of weeks (and no - I'm not preg, lol). My eyes are brighter. I've dropped probably 5-10 pounds of water weight by shedding the booze. My energy is starting to return and I've been exercising several times a week. I haven't been fighting with my spouse nearly as much as before, and I haven't woke up with a hangover ONCE! I've been to work on time every day and not in a panic. My anxiety and depression are still here - but they have dissapated significantly. I have hope for a bright and HAPPY future today. This feels damn*d good and I don't want to let it go!!!

Best of luck
Old 09-18-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your responses thus far! It's wonderful hearing the success stories. Keep up the good fight!
Old 09-18-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

hang in there lorothar, it does get better in time
I won't blow smoke up your butt and say that life is like a musical with unicorns, pixie dust and fairies but it is much much better with sobriety. Remember there is light, a bright shining light at the end of tunnel. Sobriety. Life.
I'm just over 4 months now and it is such a friggin kicka$$ feeling to wake up clear minded and alert and conscious of what is going on. No hangovers full of guilt, remorse and shame. That alone is a gift in itself.
Weekends are so much more enjoyable b/c I'm actually participating in them and not spending them in a wine bottle or hung over praying for a quick death.
It gets better, trust me