Notices

Help??

Old 09-18-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help??

Day 10 here and I just had a revelation. It's not just about drinking alcohol isn't it...it's about me isn't it?
Confession: I have been to many meetings and always left and went back to my old ways because I "didn't fit in"
Confession: I was so broke from buying beer I didn't have money for a big book. Some dude gave me one. Later on in life I threw it away because everyone else drinks so can I. How messed up?
I learned all this by working up to and only question 3 on a step 1 worksheet. Now I have a headache and want to nap.
Thoughts?
Old 09-18-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thoughts?

Start over again.

Keep trying until you get it.

Go to another meeting.

Get another big book.

Start the step one workbook over again, this time complete it.

Start by not drinking today.

Post here again in the morning.

One foot in front of the other.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

the step 1 worksheet is an eye opener for sure.
Hang in there. Don't get too deep into your head. Take a step back and try to look at the big picture. You have your entire life ahead of you. You can't fix things in a day.

Congratulations on day 10 - you survived your birthday!
Old 09-18-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day 10 is early day, we can't revolutionise our lives in a matter of weeks, when it took years of drinking to get us to where we are now!!

Hang in there, small steps, you'll get there!!
Old 09-18-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by countrygirl2014 View Post
Day 10 here and I just had a revelation. It's not just about drinking alcohol isn't it...it's about me isn't it??
What do you think?

When I was drinking it was always about me. I did not understand until I stopped that there was a lot more to it but it takes time. Let your head clear a little and take it one day at a time.

Later on in life I threw it away because everyone else drinks so can I. How messed up?
Remember that we all do things when we were drinking that we regret. They are what we did, not who we are.

I didn't throw mine away. I just left in a chest for 10 years, that is messed up too. I was to afraid to take it back out and read it again.

Now I have a headache and want to nap.
Then take a nap. Recovery is exhausting. I was tired too. I had good days and bad days. Take a quick nap, get up in a hour or so and get to a meeting. Come back home and go back to sleep and call it another 24!
Old 09-18-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep. I needed to slow down a sec...thanks guys. I took a nap, filled out some job applications, that was just too much at once. I will try another question on the worksheet tomorrow. Eye opener is right! I guess I wanted to rush through it all and be all done and better in a week. Hahahaha....nope!
Old 09-18-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, absolutely!

For me, alcohol was the symptom of my anxiety/depression/control-freak issues. Of course I had to stop drinking but that was just the beginning. Thankfully, I was able to find some good books to guide me through the recovery journey. And, SR has been my lifeline for years.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Drinking as much as I did was selfish - it was all about me but that's changed now that I am sober. You have the right idea - slow down. Don't try and take on too many things all at once. Priority is staying sober so that your successful in your next job. Its hard but try to stay focused and take baby steps. Congratulations on your 10 days !!!