Post rehab communication with users

Old 09-18-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post rehab communication with users

My husband got out of rehab a week ago tomorrow, and has been having casual text convos with a couple of guys who use. Neither were dealers to him, but one uses his DOC (oxy) and the other uses coke. AH says that it's okay to talk to them because he isn't going to use again and, the fact that one of them doesn't use his DOC, means he is not a problem to talk to. Am I the only person who thinks this is manipulative and that he is just trying to rationalize his way into maintaining some connections? Any thoughts?
Old 09-18-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My thought is that when you are in recovery it is not healthy to maintain a relationship with anyone who uses. It's too easy to fall into temptation.

Just my .02
Old 09-18-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

From what I have learned, a person in active recovery really needs to cut off ties with the people, places and things related to their use. My daughter's RABF said recently that he doesn't even like going to NA meetings in neighborhoods where they know people from their using days (recent and past). My RAD is going to AA meetings in small settings and in neighborhoods she's not familiar with. She asked for a new phone number when in treatment and I have her old phone, too. Drug dealers were blowing it up every day when I had in plugged in. When I saw an offer for "Chinese Take Out," I unplugged it, turned it off, and threw it in a drawer. That was even a trigger for me--I wanted to text back and scare him somehow (I'm sure he'd be terrified of GardenMama!)--but I didn't. I just realized at that moment if my trigger-point was that active, my daughter must be in an hourly, daily struggle to keep on a clean path.

I can't imagine how texting with using friends is a good thing for him. I would feel the same way if I were you---very suspicious and uncomfortable. He's in such early recovery...

I hope you are still taking care of your recovery, going to meetings, etc.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No, I'm not. I haven't been to a meeting since he came home. We both work and have 4 kids, two of them still in diapers, so I haven't had any time. I need to go though...I have been battling a bit of "stressed induced anorexia" (as my friend calls it) since this all happened and it is starting to wear me down. I need to focus on me more, but it's hard when everyone depends on me for everything.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are dealing with a lot, Lynn! I know it is hard sometimes to reach out to others, but this would be the time to do just that. I have been really touched by the gestures and acts of support I have seen from one NarAnon member to another in our group. Actively cultivate a support network for yourself, because regardless of what your husband does, you are going to need it--you are the sun around which your children orbit. Take good care of yourself--and EAT! I know about that not eating...it can be a battle on its own when I am stressed to the max. Smoothies, vitamins, protein bars--whatever it takes! Okay, done lecturing. I hope you have a good day.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks GardenMama! The support and kind words mean so much more than I can ever express.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Lynn,

I just want to mention that if you go to Celebrate Recovery many of them have free childcare and age appropriate classes for the older ones. Might be worth checking out for you. Our CR does great things for the kids, they love it!
Old 09-18-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Is that an organization? I haven't heard of it before...am going to Google it now. Thanks Hope!
Old 09-18-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sure. It is for anyone with a hurt, habit, or hangup. I have been going for years, it has helped me immensely. If you google it you can see if there are any in your area. It's set up a lot like Alanon with scripture backing it up. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!
Old 09-18-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yay! I found one in our area...thank you again
Old 09-18-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For those who don't know me yet, I am an alphabeteer: AA, NA, ACoA, Nar-Anon, etc.

When I got clean and sober I changed my answering machine message to:

If you have reached this recording, I'm at work. Please call me at work at XXX-XXXX and ask the receptionist to connect you to my office.
The number I left on the recorder was the local DEA office. Ten minutes after I changed my message, I couldn't buy a seed, pill, puff or anything in that town. As that town was smack dab in the middle of Fairbanks, Alaska - there weren't a lot of other options for me.

But I was serious about my recovery. I didn't want anything to do with anyone who was using. Folks suggested that it might be dangerous but I maintained, and still do, that it was necessary. It showed ME a level of dedication and willingness that I needed to see in myself in order to not die in active addiction.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
AH says that it's okay to talk to them because he isn't going to use again
What he says and what he does may be orthogonal to each other. Remember that.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Minefields make poor jogging and/or exercise areas.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Being around friends who use ANYTHING is a recipe for going right back into it.

When an addict is using one thing, and he's hanging out with a friend who wants something else, it is a really, really easy thing to do to hook him up.

Just trust your instincts. You know this is wrong.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm not sure what 'lob'sta's do, but crabs who try to get the hell out
of the bucket keep getting pulled back down.......by other crabs.

My personal intuition is that the probability of successful outcome
is inversely proportional to 'running with the old crowd----or even LIVING
in the same town with them.

(a diplomatic way of saying ZERO)
Old 09-19-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all!! Any advice on how I should proceed with this? I have made it clear that I don't want him to talk to anyone who does drugs and drinks, but I can't control what he does. Any additional tips would be appreciated.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

lonelynn, I think the others have pretty much spoken to what I would say.

Take care of you.

Gain support-seek it out aggressively.

Set your boundaries but willing to follow through.

You have your hands full. bless you!
Old 09-19-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks TX...y'all have been a big help. He and I have talked about this at length, but he refuses to accept that it is a bad idea to maintain any contact with people who use, no matter how minimal the communication might be. I told him that I can't tell him what to do, but after all I've been through, doesn't my peace of mind mean anything to him? He said "yes, when you put it that way..." But returned to his same argument of "it's okay cause he doesn't use my DOC." I guess only time will tell on this one, but I have set my boundaries and am more than willing/ready to follow through on them, no matter how sad they make me. Thanks for the support everyone!
Old 09-19-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

We don't control them or their actions, lonelynn-----we only control ourselves.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Lynn, good for you , on having boundaries. Happiness lies in keeping them, for you and your children. I hope your hubby listens and thinks hard about this. He may be trying to convince his self. temptation would be stronger, around other users, no matter what the doc.

take care of yourself. eat, rest and laugh with your babies, as much as possible. we are here for you.