Notices

Guilt is my problem

Old 09-18-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

Guilt is my problem

So I'm on day 13 and I've been off work this week to focus on getting better - exercising, eating well, tackling things at home that are long overdue, but I really feel guilty about not being at work.
I see the emails fly, and activity and I start thinking how neglectful I am in my responsibilities. It brings on guilt.
I have been off on medical leave due to depression - not sure if it's alcohol driving this first but I suspect so - and I'll probably go back Tuesday after seeing my doctor on Monday. I feel better, but really anxious. I'm worried about work.
I will not drink today.
Sorry, I felt I needed to share.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sometimes we need to take time for ourselves. Getting sober was the best thing I ever did for me and there were times I called off work.

I did it all the time when I was sick and had a hangover from drinking but like you felt guilty when I stopped drinking.

I called them a mental health day. Take the time. Remember if you are not better you are no good to yourself or to others.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Same here. Took off a lot of days because I was hungover or still drunk. When I got sober, I took some time off to get everything together.

I think coworkers and bosses would rather have you there 100% instead of not being there mentally.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi. We need to view getting sober as the most important thing in our life to do because without it, if we are alcoholic, life will become progressively more miserable. It may be viewed as selfish however becoming sober is our #1 priority or else all else is so easily lost.
Through all the ups and downs of getting sober I’ve never heard anyone say drinking was better and I’ve been around meetings a lot of years.

BE WELL
Old 09-18-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's normal to be concerned about your job when you are on medical leave. But taking the time to care for your health will be the best choice in the long run. Hopefully when you go back on Tuesday you will find things manageable.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

you have a legitimate reason for being off work. The office will get by without you
Take care of yourself

D
Old 09-18-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Guilt was always my downfall. Donlt let it get the better of you x
Old 09-18-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Get yourself right and well first. Then you can be a wonderful and responsible individual forever :P
It's hard in the beginning, but the person you want to be is there, ready to come out.
Feeling guilty just means you understand that our previous lifestyle was irresponsible and selfish. We are meant to be better than that!
Hugs,
Beth
Old 09-18-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Focus on yourself and getting better!!

Hang in there!!
Old 09-18-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by razor15 View Post
I start thinking how neglectful I am in my responsibilities.
In fact, you're not being neglectful at all. Your responsibilities are taking care of yourself and working on your sobriety. You're doing that - be proud of yourself.