Notices

Newly Sober

Old 09-17-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newly Sober

54 Days. That's how long I've gone without a drink. That's the LONGEST I've gone without a drink since 2004. I should be proud. I am proud. I also can't shake the feeling of guilt.

Quitting drinking was relatively simple. Not easy, by any stretch. But simple. And for a while, I felt better. I'm told by friends who have endured stints in rehab, or undergoing outpatient treatment, that I was experiencing the pink cloud. Needless to say, that cloud has floated away.

I no longer have the desire to drink, but I'm also slowly losing the desire to really do anything. I'm normally stubborn and quick-tempered, but now even more so. How have you all dealt with the depression and anxiety that comes after the initial euphoria subsides? How long did you experience it? Does it ever REALLY go away? Or should I learn to live with it?
Old 09-17-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome and congratulations on your sober time,
I can't speak for others, but I went through a period of a few months of melancholy after I got sober. There were other personal factors involved. But still, I did experience a period of getting used to doing things without always having a drink. At around 5-6 months it started to subside. After six months it was like a new beginning.
I was out of work and had a lot of down time also. If you can keep busy and find something to do for your own pleasure, be it a hobby or athletic activity, you can force yourself through it more quickly. Just an opinion of course.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
EFC

I know what you mean. Even now (I'm at almost 22 months) I still go through that "not wanting to do anything" feeling. A lot of it, I believe, is that so much that I did was either directly related to alcohol or my interest in it was fueled by my brain process when drunk. It is kind of as though I haven't yet figured out what I like to do without any alcohol influence. Don't get me wrong, it isn't THAT bad, but it does lead to some boring times! In my early months I spent a lot of my down time reading this forum.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats binqer and welcome . Few months ago (I since relapsed), I made it to the 3 month mark and felt a lot of what you are describing. The 'pink cloud' left and a sort of stagnation remained. I've read of others here who seem to have luck getting past this after 6-12 months but I guess it all depends on how long a time you are recovering from and what you are doing to combat it. For me, I went into work on Saturdays because I was bored and didn't feel like doing anything. This time around I plan on exploring a new hobby.

Hope you get through the funk.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to sr binqer, and huge congrats on your sober time so far!
Old 09-18-2014, 12:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey binqer, I'm at 53 days and have also been quick tempered this last week kinda feel bipolar. My anxiety has gone down a lot but I still feel depressed, I think it's just going to take us time to pick up the pieces and find new things that make us feel whole. Just ride it out and keep a positive vibe I think will make it
Old 09-18-2014, 01:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

well done on 54 days really amazing
Old 09-18-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! Great job on Day 54!!