O/T - The house is sold, but I am so mad I could spit nails.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

O/T - The house is sold, but I am so mad I could spit nails.

We had closing today, but due to timing, the deed has not yet been filed. Since the deed is still in our names, we remain liable for the property until the process is complete, and these people have made my life hell since the day they submitted an offer. I made it abundantly clear that the buyers were not to receive the keys until closing was finalized. Our agent and the closing attorney advised that it was our right to make that decision, and that it should be honored by all parties involved.

The buyers did the final walk through prior to the closing time today and then did not come to the closing to meet us. Their agent arrived as we were going in to sign the papers. She sat in the waiting area until we were finished, then told our agent that she had the remaining key from the lock box. Knowing full well that she was not to give the buyers the keys to the home, she did so any way.

I live VERY close to my former home and witnessed the buyers at the house without their agent, and house lights turned on that previously were not. Their agent denied giving them the keys, and then tried to say that she needed to give them access (in her presence) to take measurements before their long trip (tonight) back to the state they are moving from. I called BS on that, and refused to grant permission. It was just after that conversation that I witnessed the unaccompanied buyers going in and out of the house.

I probably would not be this mad if 1.) the buyers were not such huge a-holes during the whole process and 2.) the buyers agent had not broken the rules and then lied about it. I am currently researching how to file a complaint against this agent with my state. She actually has put her real estate license at risk by giving them the keys. I honestly don't care if she does lose it, especially after the amount of money she just made off of me. Obviously, I don't tolerate being lied to very well. I have a feeling at least part of the crap I have been through was due to her, not just the buyers. STBXAH is actually backing me up, but also telling me not to risk losing "his" money. Jerk.

My agent has been such a wimp through the entire process. There were days (including today), that I thought she was actually a jellyfish in disguise. No backbone. Since I knew her on a professional level (in another industry before she got her real estate license) prior to listing the house, I really thought she would go to bat for us, based on my memory of her in the office setting and our friendly relationship. I was mostly wrong. I have done so much of her job, it was almost as if we didn't even have an agent at times. Glad to be done with her, hopefully.

Fortunately, the two agents were able to get a document together this evening releasing us from liability if anything happens to the house prior to closing being completely final. The buyers tried more scare tactics when I denied permission, saying they would renege on the contract. But they are so tight, I knew they would not forfeit the earnest money.

Now I'm just praying that everything goes smoothly from here on out. Hopefully the deed will be processed tomorrow and I can at least put that part behind me. Thanks for listening.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

leighr.....I don't know how to comment on this except to say that it appears that there are A-holes in every single walk of life. I sure have had my share...LOL. I can appreciate how upsetting this can be....
Don't you think that they probably intimidated your friend?

I hope the rest of it goes more smoothly.

dandylion