Notices

First Post

Old 09-16-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post

After a move from my hometown of Savannah to St. Simon's, I am now among the many who can discredit the geographical cure. I stayed sober for a total of 63 days before I lost yet another job and nearly a place to live. That was in July. Since then I have had 30+ days followed by drinking then another handful of sober days followed but yet another slip. I hate calling it a slip. A couselor said to me once in rehab. "Don't call it a slip or a relapse. You never actually quit drinking. You just took breaks." Feels true now. I took my last drink 9/17. I'm still without a job. I have amazing support from my boyfriend who is telling me to just take my time getting back to work. He wants me to find something I really love. No way I deserve that kind of love. I should be in jail or on the street. I'm not saying that to sound morose. Its just I have been blessed countless times beyond my merit. Thank God for His Grace.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Welcome MK!

We can sometimes make happen what we want to happen. I hear you saying the only thing you deserve is jail and homelessness.

I can relate in that when someone loves me or even wants to listen to me or believe in me I feel uncomfortable. It's just plain easier to remain unloveable in my eyes.

I cannot say I agree with your counselor. When I took my last drink I had no idea it would be for as long as it has. So I kept not drinking and the days added up. If I were to look at it as I didn't stop drinking I am just taking a break then I set an expectation of drinking again. In my case this would be disastrous. So I must think I stopped. If I slip I slip but I get right back to stopping. Not a break. That's important to distinguish. For me anyway.

All my best to you and you are in a great place here on SR.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I lost almost everything more than once. But I was blessed, too. Someone up above was watching out for me. I asked God to save me and, remarkably, he did. I'm still amazed every day after three years seven months of sobriety.
I was a bad drunk and a chronic relapser. There seemed no hope. But all I had to do was ask.
You'll find lots of support here so stick around.
Best to you.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think the comment about just taking breaks was meant more to stimulate introspection on your part. Maybe?

When we struggle with sustaining long term sobriety, it should become our main focus. If that means turning off outside distractors (relocating, a new job etc.) and you have the ability to survive, I would put all of my effort into doing what it takes to stay sober.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back!!

Focusing on YOU is not a bad thing, doing all you can to finally turn a corner should be the priority!!

It might be time to repay your boyfriend by finally beating this with whatever effort and resources you need to make it happen!!

You can do this!!
Old 09-16-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back mk!

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-16-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome mk42781

You'll find a lot of ideas and support here
Use us!

D