Notices

Hard on myself

Old 09-15-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hard on myself

everyone around me says I'm always so hard on myself. I feel like I am in a perpetual cycle of being ok .......... Or being really really angry. At the world, others but mainly myself. A lot of self hatred going on I think. For those with many days or months or years of sobriety.... Does this get better? Am I the only one who struggles with this so much? I just feel like giving up.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Dont give up ...

where would it lead ....

more anger more turmoil it would be hell on earth

if your not happy write up a list of things that you are grateful for or a list oif things that could help your situation

you got to find a balance of activity to alleviate stress and to make you feel ok more

what exactly are youn doing planwise to stay sober ?
Old 09-15-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 2 is very early days GentleSoul, years of drinking can cause damage not only physically, but emotionally and mentally, the body can't sort and adjust overnight, it's going to take time.

Don't give up, you need to push through to the better times, give Sobriety a proper chance to experience the benefits!!

Hang in there!!
Old 09-15-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a lot of us are very hard on ourselves and self-hate....You can change that...but it's day 2 I'd focus on just not drinking for now.

Try to focus on the present as much as you can. In a little while, with a clearer head you can start working out all the curly questions

D
Old 09-15-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

in my experience it gets much better. i agree with Dee -- not drinking for an extended period of time was both a necessity for change, and a cause of change in my life. make sure that sobriety has the highest priority rating. after a length of time in sobriety, my inner life has changed dramatically -- i know longer fall victim to self-hatred the way i once did.

there are a lot of resources available to help with disturbing thoughts/self-hatred: support groups, talk therapy, meditation, service work (which really helps to get my mind off myself). AA has been a tremendous help to me. it is not the only way, though. don't give up
Old 09-16-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I felt like that. One of things I had to do was identify what made me angry and why.
Was it a resentment I carried or something beyond my control? Lot's of things made me angry. I'm still learning to overcome my impatience with a lot of things.

Hang in there, you'll figure it out. Much sooner if you don't pick up.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

There is a lot to be angry at in early recovery--anger at our struggles to quit and stay quit, anger at the time and opportunities wasted, anger at alcohol, anger at our addiction. It's not helpful to dwell on the anger, but it is something we have to work out as we journey toward recovery.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone for such thoughtful responses. Today seemed a little brighter. Or at least I was less angry. It felt good to talk about it here. One day at a time. Day 3 here.