Notices

Cbt

Old 09-15-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cbt

My doctor has recommended I try Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for my under lying anxiety problems. I just wondered if anyone had tried this and if it helped. I know everyone's different and what works for one person doesn't for others but just interested to hear any opinions.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I haven't myself but everything I've read had been very positive. It is often effective where other therapies are not.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

i read a book on it (im ok your ok) but it was when i was growing up

i have heard it works
Old 09-15-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
p***enger

I also haven't personally done CBT but research shows that CBT is an effective non-pharmaceutical method for treating a variety of psychological problems, including many phobias and anxiety disorders. Good luck!
Old 09-15-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been doing it for 6 months - I can testify that my anxiety is less. I am coming up on six months sober also. Another thing that has worked well for my anxiety is getting massages and exercising. I try to walk or ride my bike 2-3 a week. Sometimes getting out there takes all the mental fortitude I have - but I always feel better afterwards. I've been doing the therapy 1 day a week for six months now. I'm actually in the process of changing therapists because I want to do more extensive childhood work. I think my anxiety stems from living in a state of chaos in my youth. Kind of hard to "unlearn" the habit of being on edge for years - decades. I say give it a try.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have experience in both CBT and DBT - that being said, they were therapeutic methods employed in helping me recover from eating disorders, but the principles remain the same. My mom did CBT for several years for help with depression and she attested to its benefits. Personally, DBT worked better for me (it made more sense, to my dysfunctional brain? Lol) but I was in class with many in CBT that absolutely loved it.

If anything, it's worth a shot; it can't hurt, can it?
Old 09-15-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As a clinician myself I can say that therapeutic styles come and go. CBT is pretty popular now and has been around for awhile...because it has a tendency to work and makes sense for people. I think the type of therapy is key but even more important is that you "click" with your therapist. IF you do not "click" with your therapist and you are not able to develop a dynamic where you feel you can be open and honest...find another one.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The theory is that how we think know affects how we feel and act. So if we can change our thinking, like from negative to positive thoughts about ourselves, it will change how we feel and act. For example, if we believe that we are a loser...we may end up being unsuccessful, etc.but if we can change our automatic thoughts to believing that we can do anything that we put our minds to...we may become more accomplished. Simply put, CbT teaches us to change negative thinking to positive thinking.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

FWIW I think that AVRT is akin to CBT/DBT. It stresses awareness of your own thought processes; once you recognize them you can begin to modify them. "Self talk" is kind of an element of AVRT. I realize this isn't exactly the same but I think you'll find that the effectiveness of CBT is pretty well established.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I will let you know how I get on. I do a lot of walking and I find swimming helps. I'm stay away from medication. I think I've done enough self medicating with alcohol over the years and look where that got me.