Notices

Back to one week and this is why...

Old 09-15-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to one week and this is why...

I have now been sober for a week.

When I feel down, I look at a picture of my family and say I want to be better for them for the rest of my life. I dont want to be short tempered, easily agitated, and upset at small things... Life is too short to be upset or just be drunk or hungover for a lot of it... I want to remember. I want to participate. I want to be more than just there... I want to contribute.

I just want to be a better man, husband, father...

What has promoted YOU to get this far (no matter how long it is)... what keeps you going?
Old 09-15-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

a 2nd DUI, jail time, possible unemployment and homelessness was what got me motivated. That was over 4 months ago.
Now, I'm motivated for ME b/c I feel great (for the most part)...the anxiety/depression is sporadic now...my relationships are a million times better and I can actually stand to look at myself without cringing.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jupiters View Post
a 2nd DUI, jail time, possible unemployment and homelessness was what got me motivated. That was over 4 months ago.
Now, I'm motivated for ME b/c I feel great (for the most part)...the anxiety/depression is sporadic now...my relationships are a million times better and I can actually stand to look at myself without cringing.
Yeah its amazing how much better you feel even after a week or not drinking... Everything is so much more clear!

I have also quit smoking so making some drastic changes recently... I almost feel rejuvenated.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think I really wanted to not limit my potential, sure I looked like I was "functioning", but I was limiting myself to simply existing/surviving and no more, daily hangovers, continually focusing on alcohol all day everyday, it became a set of chains.

I wanted more from life!!
Old 09-15-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
I think I really wanted to not limit my potential, sure I looked like I was "functioning", but I was limiting myself to simply existing/surviving and no more!!

I wanted more from life!!
I totally agree... I use to fix up motorcycles and got quite good at it. Made some money and kept buying more. Then I started to drink more and more and all my hobbies fell by the way side.

I like it and thanks for sharing.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What prompted me to get to nearly five years sober was my pets. I wasn't taking good care of them while I was drinking and was ashamed.

Now I give them the best care.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Of course to be a better mom. But I found when my kids where out with their dad for a weekend or vacay I was totally out of control. Making poor decisions and while out drinking...
Old 09-15-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Started off I didn't want to die...but I soon found my motivation was to live a useful life and be the best man I could be...

still working on it

D
Old 09-15-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I wanted to feel again - to care again. I was always numb and foggy. Drinking was no longer fun, just a habit. No joy or hope left. I wanted to live.

I'm very glad you have a week jryan. Keep it going.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was pretty sure I was going to die, or worse, if I didn't stop. But, once I stopped I realized there were plenty of reasons to stay stopped- my family, my friends, my pets. Now I'm working on rebuilding my life- getting back into hobbies I had as well as possibly changing careers to do something more fulfilling. Still working on the getting happy part- but I'm sure it's coming.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I acquired a traumatic brain injury because of my drinking; it wasn't my first but it needed to be my last. Being in the intensive care unit scared me...a lot.