Notices

Why do I feel so Angry?

Old 09-14-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why do I feel so Angry?

Day 2 here....
No drinking ...made it through Fri and Sat!!.
I feel anger towards so many people suddenly.
I never considered myself an angry person.

Im going to try to answer my own question..
The anger was always there to a point, drinking was the mask and coping mechanism??

Anyways, Im going to lay low talking to many people till I feel more "normal"
Im assuming this is part of coming back to (sober) life?

any input welcome!
(Im not mad at you!!) haha
Old 09-14-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I keep to myself a lot, but I was never one to mingle. For me, lying low was alright . I never interacted a lot anyway. Just don't lye too low for too long. You can't isolate yourself from the world forever At the beginning....move slowly and see how different situations affect you Good luck to you
Old 09-14-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done for 2 days.. Feeling angry and getting irritated even for trivial issues, is one of the many withdrawal symptoms. I have been through that..

Have you consulted any doctor to help you for withdrawal symptoms ? It will be a good idea.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Most of us have some underlying issues behind our drinking, and they don't go away when we quit. We also tried to use alcohol to solve them, but it merely postpones them until later, and many times it actually makes them worse.

In the very early days you are in, emotions are generally all over the place no matter what. So you can probably chalk some of it up to that. Talking about it helps, even here online. You could try a meeting, or even counseling eventually if it become a major issue. Isolation can be your enemy though, so try to avoid it if you can.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your on day 2

your going to feel like crap (it does get a lot better)
Old 09-14-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

ok, makes sense all.
THANK YOU
Heres a way im gonna deal with feeling a bit angry and crappy today.
headed out on my bike for a ride for an hour or so, then will stop by the gym for a low level workout.
Endorphins will help I bet!!
Old 09-14-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

All sorts of unpleasant emotions plagued me, too, at the very first. It helped to do kind things for myself.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

livingnow, I know the feeling from very early sobriety. Bike ride and gym is a great plan. Exercise does wonders...
Old 09-14-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Years ago my husband always told me I was too nice and too forgiving to other people. Drinking changed all that. I became an angry person. Once I quit it really became noticeable to me. It must screw up that part of the brain. It has reversed itself but it's not fun while it is doing that. The longer I stayed sober the less of a slave I was to anger.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Anger is a huge trigger for me and I used drinking to squelch it. All I can say is that I've learned to sit with my anger and then (try) to let it go. If I view the person I'm angry at with empathy and compassion, it dissipates eventually. I understand where you're coming from--I HATE the feeling of being angry. It does not feel good.

Hang in there--you'll get through it and learn new coping mechanisms in time. xoxo
Old 09-14-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hey Living.

I agree that it's part of withdrawal. At least it was for me. I was so happy to be getting sober, but part of me was resentful & angry in the beginning. Emotions run high as we begin to heal - we're all over the place. It all calms down and gets better.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree that for some people alcohol masks emotions but it also brings them out during hangovers, withdrawal and early sobriety. For me this actually terrified me as I was never an angry person before my drinking progressed quite far. In fact, I was more the opposite: endlessly patient, people found it impossible to spark a fight with me, etc. It was like, "who have I become"? Yeah, some of it was repression back then, but heavy drinking and withdrawal made me very irritable. It all went away for me after ~2 weeks sober.

Hang in there; don't isolate yourself too much (for me that made it worse) - it'll get much better!
Old 09-14-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The body is going to take time to adjust, it can't heal years of drinking in a matter of days, it's going to take a lot longer!!

But in that period, your emotions, thoughts, feelings will be all over the place, it took mine some time to level out as my body adjusted to not having what it had always had in alcohol!!

Hang in there!!
Old 09-14-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a lot of anger and resentment that I used to bury under my drinking...I buried it so well I forgot it was there.

All that all kinda resurfaced when I quit.
I was also angry and resentful about quitting

It doesn't last tho Give yourself a little time for mind and body to heal.

Try and think about all the things you have to be grateful for livingnow

D
Old 09-14-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hopeful

I am sure that my drinking was largely to keep me from feeling emotions like anger, sadness, frustration, etc. under "control". The problem was that, when I was done drinking and awake again-the problems and emotions were still there. I had just postponed feeling them. Keep trying and hang in there. I'm only on day 4 but every day seems to be a little bit easier.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Its the most common emotion to feel in early sobriety.

Hopefully it gonna fade out with time.

If your still feeling like this in 2-3 months, everything is still pissing you off, constantly angry with the world.

Seek outside help.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, as most have said, it is part of the process.

I had a lot of anger too, and I was mostly angry at myself for getting into the situation I was in.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
waking down

Physical and/or creative outlets help me. Walk, run, lift, write, draw, pound on an instrument, howl at the moon...