Notices

Can I still work in mental health with a dui?

Old 09-13-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can I still work in mental health with a dui?

Hello All! I am honestly hoping to get feedback from anyone in recovery who works in addictions or any aspect of mental health that has had a DUI arrest on their record. Are there any of you out there? Would any of you hire someone with a DUI Misdemeanor on their record? Has anyone gotten their MA in Counseling and gained employment with a DUi?
I have my BA and over twelve years working non-profit youth development and over a year and a half as a Clinician at the Addictions Receiving Facility in my city of FL. About a year ago, I decided to begin working in real estate so that I could go back to school to get my MA to become a LMHT. I really wanted to work with others who needed help because I had an amazing therapist and she really helped me. I've had a stellar work history but I have dealt with alcohol abuse myself and thought I had "control" over it. Now I am well aware that I did not. It was only a matter of time...Well-long story short- I was arrested for a Misdemeanor DUI in May of this year and I am dealing with the repercussions. The day after my arrest I went to my first AA meeting and I have been sober ever since. I have a sponsor and a home group. It has completely blown up my life but I know that I am blessed that I didn't hurt anyone and that I had enough knowledge from my past experience in addictions to know that this is not just a blip on the radar and that I am an alcoholic.
What I haven't been able to find though is if anyone working as a Clinician/therapist/Social Worker has had a DUI in their past and what their experience has been in gaining employment in the field. I know that the DUI will affect me for the rest of my life, but I really want to use my experience to help others. I am not taking my situation lightly and I know that 100+ days in AA is just the beginning of my recovery. Are there any others out there that have been able to gain employment in Mental Health after a DUI?
Any anecdotes and advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-13-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

No idea Rina - but welcome to SR

S
Old 09-13-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Rina, I work in a mental health center and have a LCSW. I have never gotten a DUI but I know that several of the masters level substance use disorder clinicians have had hefty substance abuse backgrounds. Don't know if they have ever gotten charges, though.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EndGame

I've never gotten a DUI, but I can answer in a general way. In NY State, licensed and certified professionals in health care are subjected to limited suspensions (usually two years) for convictions related to operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, a Class E felony. But this is after they've gotten their license or certification.

I do know people in NY who've become licensed social workers after being convicted of DUI in their past, and that they submitted to what sounded like a personal, professional and legal process to do this that basically provided them with a waiver of some sort. I imagine that sustained sobriety plays an important role in all this.

You can easily begin your research by finding out the policies and procedures in your state.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
waking down

Maybe look at some applications and see if they even ask. If they do ask, tell the truth and see what happens. If you say you've been sober since and can pee clean it may not be an issue. Also, if you have a B.A. now and are thinking of starting a masters program, you could honestly say you got sober BEFORE you entered the program (provided you stay sober). I would imagine the longer you've been sober before seeking employment the less likely it would be an issue. In some cases it could maybe even help, depending on the work.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies! I'm hoping there are some people out there with some experience with this hopefully! I know that the best thing to do is actually do the leg work of speaking to agencies I am just hoping that there might be others on the forum that could share.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Call the state office in charge of licensing the professional designation that you aspire to. Many states have somewhat different rules for their licensed professionals, so if you plan to practice in another state it might be a good idea to check with that state also.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Smile Wow!

Originally Posted by Rina View Post
Thanks for the replies! I'm hoping there are some people out there with some experience with this hopefully! I know that the best thing to do is actually do the leg work of speaking to agencies I am just hoping that there might be others on the forum that could share.
Did I write hope enough? Good Lord!
Old 09-13-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Rina View Post
Did I write hope enough? Good Lord!
Here's hoping you remain hopeful.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Smile It will take time

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
I've never gotten a DUI, but I can answer in a general way. In NY State, licensed and certified professionals in health care are subjected to limited suspensions (usually two years) for convictions related to operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, a Class E felony. But this is after they've gotten their license or certification.

I do know people in NY who've become licensed social workers after being convicted of DUI in their past, and that they submitted to what sounded like a personal, professional and legal process to do this that basically provided them with a waiver of some sort. I imagine that sustained sobriety plays an important role in all this.

You can easily begin your research by finding out the policies and procedures in your state.
I know that what I would have told my clients at the Detox, before this happened to me, is that anything is possible but it will take dedication and hard work to rebuild my reputation as a professional. Legally, I can still pursue schooling and licensure. Pounding the pavement to start somewhere at the ground level will be much more challenging than before my DUI. At least now, I will be thriving in Recovery!
Old 09-13-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would imagine that many addiction counselors, if not the majority, dealt with the horrors of addiction in their past which I would imagine could include DUIs.