Stay On My Side of the Tracks

Old 09-13-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

Stay On My Side of the Tracks

It’s been a long time since I did a thread. Although I haven't been as active on SRF as I once was I have not forgotten the posters walking along side me.

I left my husband last year. I've been staying with my brother and his family trying to sort through and figure out what I want from life. Although this year has had some lonely painful nights I can honestly say that I am so much happier being away from my STBXAH. Even those sad nights I feel I am making progress. I feel I am grieving and moving forward. When I was with AH I felt stuck and buckled in on the roller coaster ride. I am no longer afraid of everything like I once was. I used to be afraid to drive, to speak out in Al-Anon meetings, to speak to people in general, but I am no longer that scared girl anymore. I am finding my likes and dislikes as the woman I am. I am making friends. I learned to dance salsa. I got out on stage at a local theatre and did improve comedy. I've even met a friend with benefits. That’s the way I like it for now. I still plan on moving to Pennsylvania. I set a goal for July of 2015 for the move. The divorce should be final by then. I have reconnected with music. I enjoy sunsets. I love to go on long drives. I regularly visit small historical cities several hours away just to explore. Hell, I discovered I like drinking whiskey. Those are a few things I discovered I liked, and none I did when I was with my husband.

Meanwhile, my husband had continued on his cycle. I kept in contact with him mostly. If he called anyway, I answered, but if he was drunk I’d quickly end the call. From past experience if he stopped calling me I knew he was too far gone. He was in and out of hospitals. Did a couple stays in ICU. Had his mother enable him by manipulating her to paying bills to keep utilities on. Eventually it all came crashing down. Savings was depleted. The jointly owned house that I had continuously tried to talk him into selling was skirting foreclosure status. Joint loans that were his responsibility went months without payments. I couldn’t take care of it all, so I had to let it be. One night I got a call from his dad saying that he had agreed to put the house on the market and go into rehab. Apparently he scared himself. His kidneys had stopped functioning. He couldn’t urinate, and then had passed out on the kitchen floor. When he woke he called for EMS to take him to the hospital. He stayed in ICU that time for a week.

Upon receiving the call regarding the house needing to go on the market I took action, but was horrified when I walked in the door. There were dog and cat feces everywhere. Cat urine stench was strong. Carpet was filthy and there were layers of dirt on counters. His dad and I rounded up some volunteers and gutted the place. We sold furniture, bagged his clothes, and donated my clothes that were still there. Sadly we took the cats to a shelter. Everything had to go. I had the carpet replaced, and the real estate agent fronted us the money for a make-ready cleaning. AH made repairs to drywall and did some painting once he got out of the hospital.

Now the house is sold, my AH had completed the maximum length the state approved him for in inpatient rehab, which was thirty days. He found a job. After a discussion with him he is no longer trying to hang onto or marriage. He is working with the divorce and we are civil.

With this new development I can’t help but feel some bad feelings. For me, my feeling became raw when he told me that he had been dating someone. I don’t know why he felt the need to tell me. It’s not my business. I mean, I didn’t tell him about the people I had met. A piece of me with these hurt feelings can’t wait to see it all cash and burn. I’m fairly certain it will. He gets involved with this girl fresh out of rehab. This girl has the same first name as me. He is spending a lot of time at her place. All this information was obtained through Facebook, but from what it seems to me he is using this girl to cover his feelings, which from my understanding inhibits his progress. I need to remember to stay on my own side of the tracks. One day at a time right?

I am going Salsa dancing this weekend, and will try to keep my thoughts on me.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry things are still dragging on but you're over the worst of it, you're on the healing path. You have courage and an inner wisdom that will guide you through this. I got tremendous support from Alanon where they told me: "let us love you until you learn to love yourself". Thanks for posting, you're an inspiration to us all. God bless
Old 09-13-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Well, I suppose you can always pity this girl who has the same first name as you . . .

But for now -- HE IS HER PROBLEM!!!!

hahahahahaha. ahhhh.

[We applaud at the Men's Meeting right about at this point.]

Good For YOU.

btw, I prefer my Salsa on chips. But different strokes for different folks.

Now for some Flamingo Dancing . . . .

(yeah, I know -- Flamenco)

(Hilarious) Andean flamingo mating dance | NATURE | "Andes: The Dragon's Back" - YouTube
Old 09-15-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is such a wonderful account of you branching out and finding a new path. This is really important as those of us who over-dedicated our existence to save another need to find hobbies to keep us self-occupied.

I am so glad to imagine you salsa dancing and making plans to move! You sound very strong to deal with your qualifier in a compartmentalized way. It sounds like Facebook news is your only ***** in your armor. I tend to get a bit green with envy on occasion with that newsfeed of everyone living an amazing life with trips to Paris and kids so brilliant they will cure cancer at a middle school science fair. Maybe you need to curb your access to his feed? Maybe you need to let go further soon?

I think it might happen naturally even. One day it just want bother you that you don't know.

Thank you so much for updating us! You were active when I first joined SR and it means a lot to see how one makes a new, different, good life!