Notices

am i sober? am i in recovery?

Old 09-13-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry am i sober? am i in recovery?

I have been in a detox since june 29 2014, i got here on 90mg's of methadone and 1 mg of xanax. i have been slowly titrating off the methadone 5mg/week. i am now on 35 mg's of methadone and still 1 mg of xanax.

Can i count this as sober time or tme in recovery. or does the clock start when im clean from all substaces?

I hate that this is even a question to thine own self be true right, i know my intentions. i know i havnt cheeked any meds or did drug seeking behaviors.

but my ex gf who is in recovery says to me "youre not gonna count this time right?"

ughhhhhhhhhh help
Old 09-13-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you are both sober and in recovery. The meds prescribed had a reason. Unless you would be abusing them I think following the instructions the detox center gave you is a great idea.

Now if you start to feel the need to come off them, perhaps seeing your doctor and asking for advice on how to do it safely would be good.

In any case, well done for your sobriety time!
Old 09-13-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know about the time question, j. Probably, people will have different views.

From what you describe, you're doing reasonably well in recovery. And I am happy for you about that. You are getting well.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Elephant in the room question right here: Why does an ex GF have any say over your recovery/terminology?
Old 09-13-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would not let myself discouraged by other people's opinions if you feel you are making progress and are taking the meds as prescribed. There are many different views on recovery -some extreme-, ultimately what matters is how we each get there. For many people the journey involves taking psych meditations to help initially or even for a long time.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Elephant in the room question right here: Why does an ex GF have any say over your recovery/terminology?
you're right, i am just so sensitive that i take everything so personally.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
I think you are both sober and in recovery. The meds prescribed had a reason. Unless you would be abusing them I think following the instructions the detox center gave you is a great idea.

Now if you start to feel the need to come off them, perhaps seeing your doctor and asking for advice on how to do it safely would be good.

In any case, well done for your sobriety time!
thank you much everyones comments helped so much. i just needed ressaurance

Old 09-13-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I totally understand the horrible affliction of super-sensitivity. I was there with you, my friend. I still like to dip my toe in there on occasion - then I catch myself and jump right back out.

I am happy to say I am much better at detaching from other peoples' actions/statements than I was in very early sobriety. It gets easier. I stay out of their heads, and I'm getting better at keeping them out of mine. Their thoughts and words fall into the "accept the things I cannot change" category.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, try to keep remembering that this is 'your' recovery and no one else has a right to judge it. Be proud of yourself for your sober time. Take a look around and I hope you continue to read and post.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
waking down

Time sober doesn't matter. When you start the clock doesn't matter. Now matters.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Zerothehero, you have the best thoughts. All any of us have is One Day at a Time.

The guy with 20 years? He still only has today. The numbers really aren't important.

Be in this moment.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jserafini View Post

Can i count this as sober time or tme in recovery. or does the clock start when im clean from all substaces?
just the thoughts coming down from Recovery Mountain

if they are prescribed and only taken as suggested ?
which they are

and you and your doctor are in agreement on a weaning process ?
not a forever process (weaning) cutting down under the direction of a doctor ASAP

yes - I would call this clean and sober time

you are not getting a buzz on -- right ??

for that would defeat the purpose would it not ?

MM
Old 09-13-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Cool

My answer would need to be based on NA, and it's definition of 'clean' [which is the NA term (for freedom from ALL mind altering substances); 'sober' is the AA term (for freedom from alcohol)].

I'm guessing you're on methadone to come off heroin, or some other opiate/opioid. This is usually seen as 'drug replacement therapy,' and NA has a bulletin regarding their thoughts on this..................:

Bulletin #29

But of course, if you're working on your own program/treatment, then this is all moot.............so, just..................keep on truckin'

(o:
NoeleR
Old 09-14-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

wow, im so happy to have gotten all the feedback, when at the end of the day i will be sober and clean before i leave this institution why does this time not count. i am in a constant state of discomfort from the detox. so im am the furthest place from a buzz. thanks all
Old 09-14-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

thanks all
Old 09-14-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The fact you said you know your own intentions says it all to me.

This is my opinion. Your recovery started when you made up your mind to get clean - and stopped displaying addiction/abuse patterns

if you are taking them as written by your physician as a tool to achieve sobriety - you are already well on your way in my opinion! well done! keep it up!
Old 09-14-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Be confident in YOUR recovery, if all those medications were prescribed to get you to where you are today, then that is what was required, you'll see here on SR all the time people being directed to see a Dr to do things safely and so what you're doing is a good thing!!

Keep pushing through!!