Notices

First time here looking for advise

Old 09-11-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time here looking for advise

Hey everyone I recently got a 2nd DUI and am really embarrassed by the fact I let myself be so stupid and drink and drive! I have been pretty stressed lately and just want to get advice from someone that maybe has been through the same situation.

I can't blame anyone but myself but I am just worried about losing my job in the fact I might face jail time. I have already started alcohol classes and plan to attend AA meetings. I hired a lawyer which is costly but I feel is needed. If anything else would help I would greatly appreciate it. I got this DUI in Colorado and not sure how tough they are...

Thanks
Old 09-11-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Thom!

I don't know about Colorado laws. But I do think AA will be helpful, and you should keep a record of the meetings you attend because it will impress the judge (the meeting "secretary" will usually sign an attendance sheet).
Old 09-11-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I do not have any legal advice but it sounds like you are off to a good start.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it will depend on what you blew among other factors. Definitely having a prior DUI is not going to help matters.
I know you must be afraid and very worried and that is unlikely to go away even if all the worry and fear in the world won't make this any better. I would suggest concentrating on what you do have and can do. I assume no one was hurt or that you did not damage any property, you can be very thankful for that. I would also assume that you have a problem with alcohol or are an alcoholic (you didn't state this but generally those without a problem do not have 2 DUIs) If this is the case, that you do have a problem, you could use this a springboard to start seeking sobriety if that is what you would like.
YOu shared little personal information in your post, but I assure you, as many here can attest to, things can only go downhill from here if you do in fact have a problem and you keep drinking.
Best of luck to you. I am sorry you are going through this but we are all here to support you if you choose to give up alcohol.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

CO is tough. Tougher than most. 2 friends of mine got (1st time) DUI's in CO, and weren't driving 2 and 3 years later.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you didn't harm yourself or anyone else.

And, I hope that you focus on your recovery.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thom6248 View Post
Hey everyone I recently got a 2nd DUI and am really embarrassed by the fact I let myself be so stupid and drink and drive! I have been pretty stressed lately and just want to get advice from someone that maybe has been through the same situation.

I can't blame anyone but myself but I am just worried about losing my job in the fact I might face jail time. I have already started alcohol classes and plan to attend AA meetings. I hired a lawyer which is costly but I feel is needed. If anything else would help I would greatly appreciate it. I got this DUI in Colorado and not sure how tough they are...

Thanks
hey thom - welcome.
2 DUI's over here so I can totally relate to what you are feeling and going through right now. The disgust, remorse, shame, guilt....yup. I felt all that after my first one 6 year ago...the 2nd one was 80million times worse b/c REALLY? me? how the hell could I let this happen AGAIN???? what the he!! is wrong with me!? THANK GOD - nobody was hurt.
I'm in Canada - I did serve jail time for mine, I did 6 weekends. It was not fun. But it was what needed to get done. I messed up bigtime.
My license is now suspended for 3 years. Plus, 3 year min. of having an ignition interlock...it could potentially be 6+ years before I drive, if I even bother.
This happened in May. I have threads started about it and my journey
I'm just past 4 months sober today and doing great.
Counselling of course is helping me sort through the shame I carry for this. And this board has been amazing in my recovery.
*hugs*
it gets better, it'll be ok. Just don't drink!
Old 09-11-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to meet you Thom. We all understand how you're feeling.

I had 2 also. I was living in Delaware at the time. For the first one, I was considered a 'first time offender' so they were lenient. 2nd time I was given 8 days. Also had to take a course and attend AA meetings. Joining SR really helped me to not feel alone. This will one day be a dim memory - and you'll have a new life.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Thom

I know nothing about DUIs I'm afraid. This is a great place to stay sober tho - glad you found us

D
Old 09-11-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad your here!

There are many paths to recovery shared on SR. It is a wonderful place to share with others who are in many stages of recovery.

For me, AA has been great. I am just over 3 months sober and things are getting better overall. Speed bumps in the road, but the good news is if you don't want to drink your never have to again.

Sounds like you have some things to deal with, sobriety should be first daily.
There's a 24 hour thread where people commit to not drinking every day. It's very helpful.

I guess the real question is are you ready to quit or just remorseful about your issues?

Peace to all of us....
Old 09-12-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Thom!!
Old 09-12-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, i don't know much about the law and DUI, but a co-worker of mine in Co got her second DUI and she was able to drive to and from work and do jail time on weekend. Ask around and make sure you have the right lawyer for the area who can get you the best outcome possible! Good luck
Old 09-12-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the support this forum has already helped!
Old 09-12-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

wth?
2 DUI's and she can drive to and from work?

sorry - but that irks me actually.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Internet says if charged for a second DUI get legal advise so your on the right track. This is from the internet regarding second DUI in Colorado:

Felony or Misdemeanor?

A first and second DUI offense in Colorado is considered a misdemeanor crime. However if the driver causes bodily injury or property damage the charge may be a felony DUI. A felony DUI offense is punishable with imprisonment exceeding 12 months.

Administrative Penalties

The period of suspension for second DUI offense is one year. However if the person refuses to subject himself to a chemical test when requested by the arresting officer, the period of suspension will be two years. A person who has been arrested for DUI in Colorado has 7 days to seek an administrative hearing. If the person does not request an administrative hearing within 7 days, it will result in automatic suspension of the driver’s license. Generally the person will be issued a 7 day driving permit when his or her license is taken away by the police at the time of the arrest.

Look Back Period

Colorado has no lookback period. Any DUI -- for example, even if it was 30 years ago -- counts as a prior alcohol offense.

Criminal Penalties

Second DUI: A person convicted for a second DUI offense will have to spend a minimum of 10 days in prison. The person may also have to pay a fine. This fine cannot be less than $1000 and more than $5000. A conviction for a second DUI offense will also result in a license suspension of at least one year. The exact period of suspension will depend on the time gap between the first and the second conviction. 12 points will also be added to the driver’s license on a second DUI conviction. The person may also have to do 60 to 120 hours of community service.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck in realising being sober is a upgrade of self

so awesome my gf loves the pants off me (sorry)

cant believe i usec to drink hope it all works out i can guarentee things will work out better if you give being sober a true chance

good luck
Old 09-12-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Do you live in Colorado? The way you posed the question, not being sure what the DUI laws are there, kind of leads one to think you may live in another state.

Yes you must have a lawyer. Hopefully one that is experienced in DUI cases. Lots of them specialize in that.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

One thing that concerns me is that you have not mentioned quitting drinking. Although you certainly have problems it seems you may be treating the symptoms. Going to AA and alcohol classes are a great thing but are you willing to give up your best friend once and for all?
Old 09-12-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think first and foremost you need to address your alcohol problem. One DUI can be seen as a lapse in judgement, a stupid mistake that doesn't necessarily indicate a drinking problem. Two DUI's however make it hard to convince anyone that you don't have a problem with alcohol.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NorMar View Post
Do you live in Colorado? The way you posed the question, not being sure what the DUI laws are there, kind of leads one to think you may live in another state. Yes you must have a lawyer. Hopefully one that is experienced in DUI cases. Lots of them specialize in that.
Yes I live in Colorado and have found a good lawyer (hopefully) that is specialized in duis