Notices

What do you think?

Old 09-10-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you think?

I don't like labels. I can't find a way to convince myself that I'm an alcoholic...that's what Lindsay Lohan and Justin Bieber do...Not me! (AV talking here)

So I decided to forget about the labels, diagnosis, prognosis and here's what me and my AV finally agree on:

-I don't drink soda or store bought juice anymore because it sends my blood sugar to the roof and I am scared of getting diabetes.
-I don't drink milk, I haven't since I was 2 years old. I'm lactose intolerant.
-I don't drink alcohol anymore. I makes my anxiety unbearable, causes panic feeling all through the day and it takes 2-3 days to cure a hangover.

So I'm not an alcoholic, I have a serious alcohol intolerance that causes really unpleasant feelings and physical discomfort.

And my AV seems to be ok with that...

So far I still have cravings, but the same cravings I have for cake, or ice cream, or a big chocolate bar. It's not the overwhelming "I can't survive without a drink" kinda craving.

Thank you for listening
Old 09-10-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I don't like labels either. Id careful about lumping Alcohol in with soda and milk, or other things you are simply intolerant too though. It kind of leaves the door open that it might be OK down the road, or that a little bit might not hurt all that much.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's true Scott, but if I drink milk it gets nasty, trust me (not gonna go into details lol). I'm just trying to make an association with the things I stop doing because it makes me really ill.

For some reason thinking of myself as an alcoholic makes me want to drink more. (You always want what you can't have).

But the fear of being really ill (diabetes, labor kind of stomach pain, etc) makes it easier to say no to: soda, milk, alcohol

Does it make sense?
Old 09-10-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Or, you could simply say to your AV, "I am going to avoid alcohol since 88,000 people die from alcohol related causes yearly." This according to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.

Seems to make good sense. I personally like diet, sugar free, green tea. Several companies make it.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
That's true Scott, but if I drink milk it gets nasty, trust me (not gonna go into details lol). I'm just trying to make an association with the things I stop doing because it makes me really ill.

For some reason thinking of myself as an alcoholic makes me want to drink more. (You always want what you can't have).

But the fear of being really ill (diabetes, labor kind of stomach pain, etc) makes it easier to say no to: soda, milk, alcohol

Does it make sense?
It does make sense as a reason to not drink, absolutely. For me personally though, not drinking was just the first step. Learning to live sober was then hard part, I'm still learning that each and every day. We are all different, though, and if this is working for you by all means, don't change it! Just learn every day and adjust/add support as needed.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

As Scott said, I'm glad that's working well for you. That's the main thing.

I don't like labels either, but I had to do a lot of work on myself in order to remain sober.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've started to say I quit because I want to look my best... Who cares what you call it as long as you don't drink anymore. A fellow alcoholic told me that he was allergic to alcohol, he said "every time I drink I break out in handcuffs". He's been sober 4 yrs.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

Yes, no, maybe.....perhaps...?

Alcohol is cunning, baffling, powerful, and patient.

Whatever works for each is OK......if it works.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I like to keep things simple, myself and alcohol had to part ways and I am now a "non drinker"!!

Whatever keeps you Sober!!