The Big Guns

Old 09-10-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Big Guns

RAH told me earlier this week that he's opting to get a shot of Vivitrol. Anyone heard of it? Basically it blocks endorphins related to drinking, any rush or high that would come from indulging in his DOC just won't happen. But it'll make him feel like poo after he gets it so thankfully he's doing it while he's still in rehab. The point is to prevent relapse but even if relapse does occur hopefully Vivitrol will keep relapse short.

He's also doing a few months of IOP once he gets out of rehab. And his exit date is quickly approaching, it feels like.

I'm kind of impressed with his plan but at the same time I'm not holding my breath. Making a plan is easy, executing a good plan takes a lot of work and focus.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Dunno. Can ask a clinical research friend -- if (and only if) you would like?
Old 09-10-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

OK, this is my limited experience discussing this with RAH and his rehab MD.

In the US, we tend to underuse meds for addiction as compared to the EU. So I went into rehab ready to argue FOR vivitrol. The rehab MD said Vivitrol worked best for opioids and it was not a sure bet for alcoholics. Despite this long discussion on receptors (I think GABA receptors), he was willing to give it to RAH. RAH was not too keen on it, but then he just opted for oral naltrexone (due to price as the shot is not cheap). He took oral for perhaps the first two weeks he was home?? I just found the half used bottle the other day in our spice cabinet (home of orphaned meds). He told me it didn't do anything, but he is notorious for not taking meds.

So it isn't a fail safe. It might be pretty pricey. But the power of placebo effect is not to be overlooked in a newly minted sober human.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it's $1,200 per shot and it has to be done monthly. We have a really good insurance plan…I picked it out last year because it was best for surgery, which I knew I'd be having with child birth, turns out it's a great plan for addictions too. Our insurance fully covers the shots. And most of rehab and IOP. Our out of pocket is very minimal for all of this, however, it would be more but our daughters and their various doctor visits has been enough for us to meet our out of pocket max for the year anyway.

Hammer, don't bother asking, although I do appreciate the offer. I have no weight in the decision on whether he'll be receiving it or not. He was telling me what he was going to do, not asking. LOL A nice change of pace.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is a pretty good overview. Working on the periphery of drug/device research, it really looks to me like a bid to keep an old drug financially viable. BUT this is totally your H's decision.

Isn't it awful how fast time goes when you get a break!!

Addiction Medicine - Addiction Medication - Vivitrol (Updated 9/11/11)
Old 09-10-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stung View Post
I have no weight in the decision on whether he'll be receiving it or not. He was telling me what he was going to do, not asking. LOL A nice change of pace.
Very. Very. Very. Good.

Happy for YOU in all that.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Honestly, I think the time that he's been in rehab has been the most dramatic for my family so far this year. 911 calls and anaphylactic shock, speech therapists and podiatrists, new babysitter and taking on a treasurer position in al-anon (begrudgingly, I volunteered) and trying to find God in my life. I hope RAH just comes back and can watch our girls for a few hours on the weekends so I can have a break without having to pay anyone for it.

I'm still waiting to get a break somewhere in all of this.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I sooo agree with you Stung. I had a similar experience when my XAH was in rehab. I will never forget it. DD broke her arm, had an asthma attack (severe), I started going to CR, and was just OVERWHELMED! It was quite an experience.

I hope you get some R&R very soon, it would be much deserved!!!

XX
Old 09-10-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm still waiting to get a break somewhere in all of this.
Hoping you do not get nor take one.

Thank you on the Service Work -- Group Treasurer, as it were.

and this stuff . . .

. . . and trying to find God in my life . . .
God is already there. Just a matter of vision.

----------------------------

Dear God,

Please open Your servant Stung's (and ALL our) eyes that she (and we) may see Your Angels.

Amen.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Fair enough. I don't hope for a break, I hope that I learn to prioritize myself enough to take care of myself better. My moto as of late has been "I'll sleep when I'm dead" and if I don't get better at taking care of me that'll happen sooner rather than later.

And instead of letting go of a responsibility I volunteered to be treasurer and then signed myself up for acting classes. LOL! Maybe I'll learn someday.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

And instead of letting go of a responsibility I volunteered to be treasurer and then signed myself up for acting classes. LOL! Maybe I'll learn someday.
Lmao! We could be sisters!
Old 09-10-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I did this for awhile when things were still crazy. It was a GOOD THING, a net positive. It got me off my duff, doing stuff other than feeling sorry for myself and worrying about XAH, and meeting lots of new people (NETWORKING). IOW, you're having that life you're supposed to have while your AH does his thing. Should things iron out, you'll have lots of interesting things to share about your life in your marriage, new angles and skills and things that make you fulfilled and happy.

Once my trajectory became clearer -- that we were ultimately going to split -- I started culling out some of the more extraneous things or offering to do things I could do from home. YMMV. I'm actually ramping up again. I like to throw parties, I like to do small web design jobs, write occasionally, biking events, volunteering. It turns out that I prefer to be busy.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

IOW, you're having that life you're supposed to have while your AH does his thing.
That's why I signed myself up. I need a hobby outside of my family. And this doesn't require equipment or being completely unreachable in case of emergency - which I now know first hand that emergencies are a very possible occurrence with my clan. We're quite the high maintence bunch. I thought acting classes would be fun for me since I'm drama addicted anyway.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well I, for one, still hope you get a break

Enjoy the acting class. I have no proclivity for that what-so-ever but I know a fun crowd when I see 'em! haha
Old 09-10-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Fair enough. I don't hope for a break, I hope that I learn to prioritize myself enough to take care of myself better. My moto as of late has been "I'll sleep when I'm dead" and if I don't get better at taking care of me that'll happen sooner rather than later.

Please be careful with your health. On top of everything I am going through the doc found a lump in my breast. I am having in checked out in a few weeks. I swear I think all the stress and crazy train riding can make us sick or at the very least vulnerable to illness. I have already had Cancer so I hope this is nothing.

Take breaks....even if you have to pay for them. Don't end up sick on top of it all.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I just read about this. Looks promising. I wish you husband the best!
Old 09-10-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mischa1 View Post
Please be careful with your health. On top of everything I am going through the doc found a lump in my breast. I am having in checked out in a few weeks. I swear I think all the stress and crazy train riding can make us sick or at the very least vulnerable to illness. I have already had Cancer so I hope this is nothing.

Take breaks....even if you have to pay for them. Don't end up sick on top of it all.
I hope your lump turns out to be nothing. I'm sending you lots of good juju. And I agree, I'm sending myself to bed before midnight tonight and meditating myself to sleep. All good things.

Mejo, thanks! And btw, I love your screen name, it always reminds me of La Bamba!
Old 09-14-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you. Actually, my middle name is Jo. This was my childhood name, Jo and when I was a little one, if people would ask me what my name was... Lol...Me Jo.