Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

First Steps to Alanon Recovery - Alcoholism is a Brain Disorder - Get the Family Help

First Steps to Alanon Recovery - Alcoholism is a Brain Disorder - Get the Family Help

Old 09-10-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Good Stuff. Science is advancing fast.

Link a research friend just posted . . . .

The impacts of alcoholism on family members and friends - Al-Anon interview with Dr. George Koob

The impacts of alcoholism on family members and friends - Al-Anon interview with Dr. George Koob - YouTube

at 6:30 into it . . . Hits the brain disorder part lightly and then all about (possible) recovery and HOW TO HELP THE FAMILY.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can't watch this at work but thank you, Hammer!!! Will look into it tonight!
Old 09-10-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is a mental illness and is considered the worst of all addictions by experts because so many people are damaged. Family, friends, the public.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting. The brain disease information was especially interesting.

A lot of this interview deals with the effects of a parent's alcoholism on the children. Knowing the statistics and science behind how this continues the cycle of alcoholism, why do our laws and judges still think a 50/50 award for sober parent and active alcoholic parent are OK, with no protections in law (in your state, for example) for the children?
Old 09-12-2014, 02:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My observation is that Judges are sooooo arrogant (and ignorant) they actually believe they can render "judgment" with a lack of knowledge. But that is often driven by them not even knowing they lack knowledge.

================

Yunno the proverb:

1. There is a Man, who knows, and knows that he knows. That man is wise, follow him.

2. There is a Man, who does not know, and knows that he knows not. That man lacks knowledge, educate him.

3. There is a Man, who does not know, but does not not know that he knows not. That man is a fool. Shun him.

=============

I often find myself in #2, above. In technical design, usually the first thing I seek is my list of things I do not know.

However, many folks -- especially from the Legal and Political end of things -- where debate -- not substance -- rule the waves . . . are #3.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Hammer, my family needs help dealing with me & the tornado I have been in their lives.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whalebelow2 View Post
Thanks Hammer, my family needs help dealing with me & the tornado I have been in their lives.
Can tell you this -- Like the #2 position on the list above . . . the folks that acknowledge and seek the help . . . are already well on the path to getting it.

So Good for You, and Your Family. Go with God.

You can be a blessing. Ever read the Joesph story (old Testament, Genesis 37 to 50)?

Comes down to one Very Fine Line -- what was meant for Evil -- God can turn for Good.

Even matches the AA promises.

May we all Go be a part of Good.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Hammer. Helpful. May pass it on to my family that doesn't quite get what alcoholism is all about
Old 09-13-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I haven't read my Bible in a while.

I'll look up the section you've recommended.

God bless
Old 09-14-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Thanks Hammer.

I finally got a chance to listen to the link. Very interesting. I didn't realize that Alanon had so much interesting stuff on YouTube. I look forward to checking more of it out.